City of Rocks

bunglehead

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bunglehead said:

There's also that new climbing park right near there.

your thinkgin of castle rocks just west of almo. theres a $3 parking charge. most of the developement has been done at lone rock. pretty fun climbs there. the land managers are seeing how it goes with licensing route developers at lone rock before opening up other areas for bolting. but you can still climb at other areas within castle crags. jut cant put in bolts.

theres also a relatively new place to eat on the southside of almo.

the city is a great place. much has changed since the 80s when camping was unregulated. but the climbs are always good. the granite is particularly featured so theres lots of great face climbs.

bunglehead said:

Thanks Lummox! Guess you're the only person that's been there! grinning-smiley-003.gif

maybe. prolly not though.

i did get the email invitation to the memorial day boltfest when lone rock was opened up. i avoid that kina shit like i do the exgirlfriends i owe money to.

if you gonna spend a couple weeks at the city take an afternnon to walk in and climb the lost arrow. sure its only 5.7 but cool. and climb the classics on elephant rock. backside of bath rock. parkinglot rock. incisor or morning glory. window. breadloaves. i like striped rock to tho only a few lines are worth it. ya gotta pay to camp at the city but the reserve employees are cheerful.

btw. theres some fun boudlering and sportclimbing in twin falls. dierkes lake also has a swimming place thats a relief from a hot drive. its upstream from the falls themselfs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was there this past Sunday (could only stop for one day cry.gif) and lamented the fact that I had only brought one 60m rope. You need gear anchors for many climbs and there are few intermediate rap anchors to let you use a single rope for the longer descents, so it's a good idea to bring two ropes.

It's an amazing place. thumbs_up.gif

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
and climb the classics on elephant rock. backside of bath rock. parkinglot rock. incisor or morning glory. window. breadloaves.

Ditto Lummox on Elephant Rock & backside of Bath has a couple stellar climbs -- morning or before sunset for them though; trying them in afternoon sun was stoopid of us, but excuse was we were only there for a couple days.

Have a great time... envious.