What is a crag?

dryad

The past couple of weekends I've been to South Early Winter Spire and Blueberry Hill in Darrington, and it made me wonder, what constitutes a crag? I presume most people consider SEWS an alpine climb. There is a summit to get to and there is a non-trivial approach. On the other hand, I presume most people consider Blueberry Hill/X-Dome a crag, but there is also a summit to get to and it also has a non-trivial approach, which is a little shorter time-wise, but a lot more treacherous than the approach for SEWS. So what characteristics qualify something to be called an alpine climb rather than a crag?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think of a "crag" as someplace you go more to practice the rock-climbing than to get somewhere (like the summit or a traverse).

Places like Washington Pass or Exfoliation Dome could be either, but I think of them as crags because they are relatively close to the road and they have many different variations of varying difficulty for getting to the summit (and some don't even go to the summit), so it seems like the preponderance of use is more for the pitches, rather than the summiting.

That's my answer.

Crackbolter said:

Usually Grade 2 or 3.

confused.gif

Crag = Sport

although trad lines are found, the more common lines followed are sport(TopRope is sport as well), this is what I think of when I here crag...

crag

\Crag\ (kr[a^]g), n. [W. craig; akin to Gael. creag, Corn. karak, Armor. karrek.] 1. A steep, rugged rock; a rough, broken cliff, or point of a rock, on a ledge.

2.The neck or throat [Obs.] (referring to a volcano)

Fejas said:

Crackbolter said:

Usually Grade 2 or 3.

confused.gif

Crag = Sport

yellaf.gif

Yes, all of Cashmere Crags are sport climbing areas. Especially the North and West Face of the Mole, Snow Creek Wall, West and Northwest Face of the Blockhouse and the Temple ridge crags. Last I checked, no one has taken the time to drill 3/8" bolts on any of the crags. Most are either 1/4" or 5/16" hand drilled.