Marmot Dri-Clime Shirt

RobBob

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most everyone I know has one of these. They're great under shells because they don't take up much room, almost as a warm as a fleece and breathe tons better - great for ice climbing. They're too warm to run or approach in for me, but I run pretty hot. If you don't have one already you should check it out. My dos centavos.

Mine is an ugly color (don't tell Beck!), worn out, not the latest and greatest, but lemmetellya, it is a GREAT piece. One of the best. rockband.gif

You know what would be cool? If there was a version with an EPIC shell. I bet that would rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif. A little more water resistance, same light weight and great feel. Might cost a little more, but that would be the thing that would get me to replace mine.

trask said:

I cut the shitty fuzzy crap outta mine and now have just the nylon shell. It breathes great and I don't overheat in it. The goddamn vent thingys under the pits work good too.

Trask:

I hear some dude made some of the very garments you created. You should sue him for a million dollars. He calls it a "wind breaker" or some crazy name like that and is trying to sell them fast, much cheaper than the dryclime thing. Get 'im!

Your pal,

Bronco

Gearhead said:I know they're nice around town, but for maximum versatility doesn't it make sense to have the shell layer seperate from the other layers like Trask suggests?

1)The shell directly against the skin can feel clammy and nasty

2)It's not fleece - more a brushed lining

3)Whats nice about the Windshirt is that it's pretty good at most everything it does.

I have a Patagonia Zephyur (the old Windshirt clone). It's great for bc skiing, slogging, etc. , wear it against the skin (or if it's cold throw silkweight capi underneath). Sure you could probably get better performance by seperating the functions - but then you'd have to deal with another layer of clothing.

Gearhead said:

Still don't understand how the brushed lining helps breathability? Shouldn't your base layer shirt play a role?

Seems like it's just the value of simplicity. Kinda like why a big puffy belay jacket is better than four fleeces plus a goretex shell. But I'm talking out of my ass, I don't own one.

marylou said:

Mine is an ugly color (don't tell Beck!), worn out, not the latest and greatest, but lemmetellya, it is a GREAT piece. One of the best. rockband.gif

You know what would be cool? If there was a version with an EPIC shell. I bet that would rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif. A little more water resistance, same light weight and great feel. Might cost a little more, but that would be the thing that would get me to replace mine.

epic-combo.jpg + 44201_422.jpg

Voila!

Gearhead said:

Still don't understand how the brushed lining helps breathability? Shouldn't your base layer shirt play a role?

Yeah I've heard it argued that you should have the fleece on the outside & nylon on the inside for better breathability. Fleece on the outside gets picks up snow (which then melts and turns into water) like no business negating any breathability benefits.

The only problem with the Marmot windshirts (and why I don't own one) is the wrist is to loose for me on the size that fits my shoulders.

Gearhead said:

I don't know that anyone said it has anything to do with breathability. confused.gif

Your base layer shirt plays a role for sure, this is just a second layer. I find that it is adaptable enough that I never worry about it being too much layer or not enough. I just put it on. If it is too warm, I take it off.

If you had two layers, they would probably end up weighing more coz of duplication of zippers etc.

marylou said:

Gearhead:

I don't know whay I love my DriClimb so much....but I can tell you that it weighs 6 ounces less than my softshell and is way more comfortable. if it's going to be a little wet I take the softshell though.

So it's fully irrational? It's an inexplicable attraction to Marmot DriClimb shirts? Sounds weird to me.

And the DriClimb IS a softshell.