The Feathers

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vantage is a cool place. Each wall has it's own character. If you dig granite only, you won't like it. Both Tieton and Vantage are Basalt Pillars. If you're making a road trip, stop by both. They are close to each other. Not too much overhanging stuff, but lots of dead vertical climbs at Vantage. About 800 or so routes now. Sunshine Wall is the best known. If you want to practice your trad leading on long sustained 5.10 to 5.12a hand and finger cracks, then you've come to the right place. The Feathers has a couple fun routes. Desert Shield, Satan's Wagan, and Hardening of the Arteries are all worth a stop by.

It's hotter than hell out there during the summer, so wait a couple months. If you forget your helmet, go to the store and get another one, or turn around and go home.

Dru said:

here's a pic of the feathers from the campground

torres-del-paine.jpg

This is exactly what the Feathers looked like the first time I saw it. Probably 10 years ago, didn't know anything about the area, drove up at night. As we turned into the pullout the headlights hit the walls and we all went "Wow!". We couldn't tell the scale of things, and as I started to 'hike' up, I thought it was 100-150 yards away. Needless to say I really dissappoint when it turned out it was 100 feet away, and the towers were just over knee high.

Knee high? yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif That reminds me of this "boulder problem" in town in this park. The boulder is about 4 feet around and 2 feet high. "Watch me, dude"

And there's also this basalt looking rock sculpture thing that's fun to climb drunk in the middle of the night by the skate bowl. But you gotta be pretty drunk to make it fun.

The Feathers can be fun for farting around on when you arrive at FC late in the day and want to kill an hour. Pencil_Pusher and I ran into FiggerEight there on Friday night. He told us he had met Erdan there earlier in the day and they had climbed Air Guitar together. How cool is that?

That night three fellows from Montana showed up with a guitar and one of them was really talented. He could make up lyrics as he went along. We sang around the campfire till the wee hours of the morning. Every once in awhile wild howling would come from the West side of the Feathers (concert goers). We figured there must have been chicks over there taking their tops off, but we never bothered to verify this.

The concert crowd is really getting out of hand. There must have been several hundred. They fill the two privvies with their shit and cover the ground with their litter. They don't pay a nickel and don't give a damn.