TR-able 10bcd's at Index

Gary_Yngve

At the risk of having a bunch of jackasses post pointless inane replies, here I go:

For the past few months, Eric and I have been hitting Index once every week or two (on weekday mornings with no one else around), and it's been great -- we've worked our way up to onsighting 5.9s (no, not Sagittarius) and 5.10a handcracks. It seems the next step to up our grades is to find harder routes to TR until we feel comfortable leading them and then test ourselves on unseen routes of the same difficulty.

So what are some recommended 5.10bcd stuff that isn't too much of a pain to set up a top rope (i.e. can climb an easier route to access the anchors)?

If you guys are lame and don't give any suggestions, we'll just wander up to Index and spend the day investigating ourselves... but suggestions would be appreciated. smile.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:

Gary_Yngve said:

At the risk of having a bunch of jackasses post pointless inane replies

City Park rolleyes.gif

Well actually we climb godizilla today and as we were rapping down i notice that city park was bomber finger locks and feets that are good even by indian creek standards. So thank you will put that one on the list.

Dru said:

Gary_Yngve said:

At the risk of having a bunch of jackasses post pointless inane replies

City Park rolleyes.gif

wallstain said:

That dude is whack. what the fuck does he know. I sent that shit on my first redpoint attempt. it was only .12a That fucker was in TM just last weak. He fell off the great white book.

To: mICROGUIDE@hotmail.com

Subject: SHORT PEOPLE ARE WEAK!

Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2003 11:03:32 -0700

HERE YA GO

http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/index/citypark.gif

hahaha.gifmushsmile.gifhahaha.gif

Spineless at Private Idaho is a good un

You could probably toprope Dr. Sniff

If you do Free At Last you can rap down and toprope Slow Children.

Do Beak Beak Beak and toprope Newest Industry

more?

walk to the top of the Upper Wall and progressively rap and toprope Davis Holland lovin arms backwards (or would that be arms lovin holland davis? hahaha.gif)

Climb Godzilla then when rapping vear to the left and set up a tr on Bat Skins. Its first pitch is 11a But You should still give it a crack. It is a fine pitch.

You will need to set a couple of directionals as the pitch traverses a bit.

Dale

I forgot the obvious one. If you climb Free At last (or Narrow Arrow [regular] p1 frown.gif) You can walk across the big ledge then downclimb a tree to the top of Thin Fingers thumbs_up.gif.

You can also probably toprope Quarry Crack from the up there.

you can TR sugar bear (10c) from the top of first pitch of Rogers Corner

you can TR Rogers corner p2/breakfast of champs (with a 60m or 70m) by climbing GNS then hiking steep trail up and around to anchors

you can TR a nice 11b arete from Toxic shock anchor, or traverse right (5.0) to set up Even Steven

you can go to Index on weekday, easily aid Thin Fingers with a bunch of cams, then TR it free

you can rap off the top anchor from GNS to the top anchor or Terminal Preppie, and TR that

I recommend you stay with Clint Cummins guide and just learn it really well, you'll start seeing other stuff to do as you get more familiar with the area.

By far the best 5.10 TR at Index would be the top two pitches of Narrow Arrow Direct. The top of the Narrow Arrow can be reached by any of several variations. (From 5.7-5.11) TR the top two pitches as one. The "TR" pitch will start off as a thin crack and turn into a hand crack thru a bulge. It then widens into a nice chimney with a rest just before the squeeze/OW finish. Multiple 5.10 cruxes. Great climbing!

If you don't mind a bit of cleaning the Garden Wall has some nice 5.10 TRs.

The routes on Hag Crag can be easily TR'd.

Belay at the base of the chimney on the Lizard route and TR On the Virgin then climb the chimney and then move right and TR Walkin' the Dog and Sonic Reducer (Pulling up on the bottom bolts reduces the climb to 5.10.) Turning the bulge/roof is really fun.

If you are over on the East Ledges don't forget about Walter B. The crux is a boulder type face move (5.11) but it ends on a ledge and from there the route is an athletic corner (5.10) Just lower to the bottom of the corner. Much better than Quarry Crack.

In the Country it is easy to TR the first pitch of Heart of the Country. It is also easy to walk arouind the east side and set up TRs on Dead Bobcats and Lizard Antlers. Right to the right is a knob covered TR wall.

slothrop said:

Do you need two ropes to TR both top pitches of Narrow Arrow at once?

I am not sure but I would be inclined to believe that a 60m rope would work probably even a 50m would work as well. The last pitch is very short. It is basically a 15’ OW/Squeeze. If your goal is to TR the route, I would think that the best thing would be to belay from the top. The belay ledge on top of the NA is spacious and flat and would be much more comfy than any other belay ledge on the route. After TRing the top two pitches I would rap and TR the second. This pitch would best be belayed at its base (ie top of the first) and is 10a.

One caveat: The belay bolts at the top of the NA may be terrible. I am pretty sure they have been replaced but if not I would be reluctant to use them. If they are not in good condition setting up a backup is possible and it is relatively easy to climb off the back of the NA and climb over to the East Ledges.

• 2 weeks later...
scot'teryx said:

one move wonder... last move was tricky, but the rest was cruiser... fun tho... woulda liked a 200 ft corner of that! hellno3d.gif

One move wonder for a guy that has a wing span of 13 feet!

yellaf.gif jsut a crimp ladder till the last one... and i think i am not far off of 13 ft. you remember the 'dyno' comp! yellaf.gif scotty T lets go clombing soon... i am done with work in a week... elmme know .... rockband.gif

DCramer said:

In the Country it is easy to TR the first pitch of Heart of the Country. It is also easy to walk arouind the east side and set up TRs on Dead Bobcats and Lizard Antlers. Right to the right is a knob covered TR wall.

Today we thrashed around on P3 of G-M (Chuck's recommendation for Stuart Gendarme practice) and did TR laps on HoC p3 with the 5.11 extension. Having torn up our hands sufficiently, we tried to find the knobby TR area, but our gumby asses failed miserably, and instead we climbed up some line that looked like fun... finger crack turn gardening adventure, probably 5.8 when clean. We spent a few minutes cleaning it up more on rap... There was a piton halfway up the route, so apparently it had been climbed before...

We tried to do the 5.10 variation approach to P1 G-M, but we could barely pull one move on it... maybe the crimpy face isn't really 5.10?

Gary_Yngve said:

Today we thrashed around on P3 of G-M (Chuck's recommendation for Stuart Gendarme practice) and did TR laps on HoC p3 with the 5.11 extension. Having torn up our hands sufficiently, we tried to find the knobby TR area, but our gumby asses failed miserably, and instead we climbed up some line that looked like fun... finger crack turn gardening adventure, probably 5.8 when clean. We spent a few minutes cleaning it up more on rap... There was a piton halfway up the route, so apparently it had been climbed before...

We tried to do the 5.10 variation approach to P1 G-M, but we could barely pull one move on it... maybe the crimpy face isn't really 5.10?

Hmm I wonder where you were? Did you see any bolts? Deadbocats and Antlers start off with a flake and then Bobcats moves right (face moves, maple tree at base?) to a left trending wide crack. I imagine they would both be a bit grimy. If I remember correctly the belay is off a tree. Since you were on rap I would imagine you would have seen any bolts. Did the pin look like it was once painted blue? The knobby wall is short 20' maybe and lots of knobs. You must have been very close to it. Next time I am out there I'll try to remember to walk over and see what better directions would be.

The variation start is pretty bouldery but the first moves s/b the hardest.

DCramer said:

Hmm I wonder where you were? Did you see any bolts? Deadbocats and Antlers start off with a flake and then Bobcats moves right (face moves, maple tree at base?) to a left trending wide crack. I imagine they would both be a bit grimy. If I remember correctly the belay is off a tree. Since you were on rap I would imagine you would have seen any bolts. Did the pin look like it was once painted blue? The knobby wall is short 20' maybe and lots of knobs. You must have been very close to it. Next time I am out there I'll try to remember to walk over and see what better directions would be.

Yeah, it sounds like we were somewhere very close to it... we remember passing the 5.12a mantel route on the trail, and a little later, there was a fork left, which is where we went.

Don't remember a color on the pin. We belayed at top and bottom on trees and didn't see any bolts around us.

Certainly a lot of fun stuff to explore!