Toyota truck question?

daler

Hi folks,

figured I would get a faster response here than on a toyota site. I"m buying a used truck and have found a 1998 toyota tacoma extra cab 2.7 liter manual, air, no cruise. It has 115,000 miles on it which is a bit for 98 but the truck is in good shape. I had it checked by a dealer and they think it is a sound truck.

Do you think 8,800 is a good deal?

thanks,

dale

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 94 toyota w/~120 K on it, and here are some things you might want be aware are very common problems on Toyota engines (truck engines)

The timing chain can slap into the guide and break the holding pins, which as something like $1400 to fix in a good shop. A mechanic good with toyotas can hear it pretty clearly. Also have em check to see if the clutch is new. A clutch with 115K on it will need repair very soon.

Mine also had a radiator leak, but that was a long time ago. Toyota might have upgraded the radiators.

Agreed. Ask the owner how long ago he replaced the timing belt. For my model year Toyota recommends changing the timing belt every 60,000 miles, so even if he'd gone by the book you are getting pretty close to the service interval for that part. Ditto for the water-pump, which should be replaced at 120,000. I'd also ask about the rotor, the plug-wires and the plugs. And - take a look at the CV boots on the front axle and see if they are showing signs of oxidiation or minor cracking. When those blow it'll run you about $300-350 per axle to get them replaced. If they are showing signs of imminent demise, have the guy lower the price by the cost of replacing them, or something close to it. Same for the timing-belt, water-pump, and other major items that are approaching the end of their recommended service-life.

FWIW, I'd consider paying a bit more to get a truck with less mileage. That's a lot of mileage for the year, and generally anybody using a *truck* that much in a short period of the time is gonna use it hard. I learned this lesson a few years back buying a used suburu. I had it checked out and everybody (including my mechanic friend) thought it looked very clean mechanically. As luck with have it, I had to replace a burned valve a few months later. Stuff like that adds up and before you know it, you've paid more than you would have paid for a lower mileage vehicle.

On the other hand, if you can get him to do what JayB recommends, it may allow you to replace enough stuff to feel comfortable with the vehicle and still arrive at a nice, low overall price.

A lot of times high mileage reflects a greater distance per trip rather than a greater number of trips. That's usually a good thing (assuming oil has been changed regularly), as long (usually freeway) mileage trips allow the engine and exhaust system to come to temperature. Many low mileage vehicles are used for the same number of trips, it's just that they don't go very far. It usually takes a 12 - 15 mile trip (20 minutes or so) to heat up the exhaust system enough to expel all of the moisture. I'll bet the exhaust system on this rig looks a lot better than than the exhaust on my own, 57k '98 Toyota Tacoma.

No major repairs is a good thing. By '98 most of the problem had been engineered out, but those late 90's Toyotas are notorious for blowing head gaskets <40k miles. Before '96 you might expect it. Past '96, and it's the sign of a lemon.

-t

• 1 month later...

Have an 89 4x4 Toyota w/ about 115K .. so reading an 98 .. seems a tad high. No big problems to date (thankfully)! Have had to replace muffler, agree w/ Terrible T ...

Also note about the clutch, check your clutch reservoir .. fluid could be low!