What animal does this?

CascadeClimber

That is a cedar tree correct? Well, the bark on a cedar can be peeled off. Whatever is doing it doesn't have to reach up 20 feet. Just has to get a good grip down low, probably with it's teeth, then jerk backwards till it rips up the tree and finally breaks off. Needs a little strength to do this and climb a few feet up. So my guess is a bear.

Edited by Bill_Simpkins

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Squirels, bears, haha... I would bet any of you money that the marks on the tree were cause by a porcupine, and the missing cats cause by a bob cat (linx), or a cyote... If your worried about bears being in your yard the animals I mentioned are in the hood too... Bears are clumsy, and would fuck with other stuff... night time, 20ft up, strips of barck missing, no other signs of intruder, it gotsa be a porupine...

Get a motion detected camera set up and catch the beast in the act...

finally got time to dig into this

from

here: "A strict vegetarian, the Common Porcupine feeds on leaves, twigs, and such green plants as skunk cabbage, lupines, and clover in spring; in winter, it chews through the rough outer bark of various trees, including pines, fir, cedar, and hemlock, to get at the inner bark (cambium), on which it then mainly subsists. Like many herbivores, the porcupine has bacteria in its digestive tract containing enzymes that help to digest the cellulose and other substances not sufficiently broken down by normal digestive enzymes. This animal has favored feeding trees that can be recognized by their cropped and stunted upper branches and bare wood. Another unmistakable sign of porcupines, often littering the ground under favorite trees, are "niptwigs," terminal branches of trees that have been cut off and their leaves or buds eaten. "

and if you're really a geek, check this out:

http://wildlife.tamu.edu/publications/NebraskaExtension/CWDPDF/DAMAGE/DAM_ID.PDF

AlpineK said:

I would be more inclined to think it was the porcupine than a squirrel. Squirrels usually go for smaller branches and chew the bark down to the cambium.

I've watched em do it at my house. Are you calling me a liar?! yellaf.gif

Fejas said:

Dru said:

one o these? wolverine.jpg

Fuck that dood... one of the most visious creature in the wild, they've been know to attack grizzly bears in the alaskan wilderness...

i should tell the story about the wolverine and the food bucket and the Alberta skiiers who sat on the food bucket with the wolverine inside up at Waddington yellaf.gif "wow this big weasel won't even leave when we hit it with the ski pole! I know lets drop this plastic bucket on it!"

the stuff about wolverine fighting grizzly bear is a big myth perpetrated by Hollywood nature "documentary" just like the one where they pushed the lemmings off a cliff.

snaf.gif lemming

in fact the wolverine is a cowardly creature in that it will almost never fight; according to some old trappers of my acquaintance it won't even fight when its in the leg hold trap and the trapper is coming to kill it with the axe.

so its a good thing there aint no big market for wolverine fur these days

incidentally i saw a mother wolverine denning not far from Coquihalla Highway last yr, about all of 500m from the Needle Peak ski trail.

Dru said:

Fejas said:

Dru said:

one o these? wolverine.jpg

Fuck that dood... one of the most visious creature in the wild, they've been know to attack grizzly bears in the alaskan wilderness...

i should tell the story about the wolverine and the food bucket and the Alberta skiiers who sat on the food bucket with the wolverine inside up at Waddington yellaf.gif "wow this big weasel won't even leave when we hit it with the ski pole! I know lets drop this plastic bucket on it!"

the stuff about wolverine fighting grizzly bear is a big myth perpetrated by Hollywood nature "documentary" just like the one where they pushed the lemmings off a cliff.

snaf.gif lemming

in fact the wolverine is a cowardly creature in that it will almost never fight; according to some old trappers of my acquaintance it won't even fight when its in the leg hold trap and the trapper is coming to kill it with the axe.

so its a good thing there aint no big market for wolverine fur these days

incidentally i saw a mother wolverine denning not far from Coquihalla Highway last yr, about all of 500m from the Needle Peak ski trail.

Oh no, man they are ferocious... I saw one take a guys leg right off, just ran out of the bush and latched on... the fucker was snarlen and terin at this poor gapers leg like it was hot pink on an icy cold day... yellaf.gif

• 1 year later...

You know with all the guesses in this thread not one single person guessed hyenas!

hyena.jpg

Or it could have been hedgehogs... vicious little creatures

hedgehog.jpg

Or of course, one of the penguin cats that escaped from the zoo

385378-penguin.JPG

They will just tear into trees. Hate them passionately, because they come from the only treeless continent on Earth.

385378-penguin.JPG.738a22df8be94c9faa31b731346551a5.JPG