What to do with a teenager?

ChrisT

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ChrisT said:

He's recently discovered Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Freeze-Pop (?) or is it SqueezePop. Some indie band that even you might like DFA.

Gah, he needs something far more obnoxious than that. Give him this shopping list for his filesharing network of choice:

Rancid, NOFX, Anti-Flag, Operation Ivy, Screeching Weasel, Avail, Bouncing Souls, Minor Threat, Pennywise, and maybe the Transplants (although not the Doctor's top pick, the kids seem to like some rap in their rock these days, and they say "fuck you" alot thumbs_up.gif).

sketchfest said:

I would say that by far the only thing worse than a 15 yr old is a 12 yr old, preteen. What with her hormones all a raging, older boys looking VERY interesting, and woman hood no longer sprouting, but goddamn fully sprung.

Bring her to pub club.

rbw1966 said:

Bring her to pub club.

"Yes, hello, Portland Police Department? Yeah, hi, this is Dr. Flash Amazing calling, and -- what's that? Oh, fine thanks; sure, tell them to stop by whenever, and -- what? Oh, no, the judge said he took care of that. Anyway -- no, really, it's all good. Anyway, we've got some kind of molester or pervo type here on the cascade climbers website, and -- no, it's not Trask this time, strangely enough -- yes, a plague would be a good way to describe him, but it's a different guy this time. Maybe if you could get your internet vice guys on it, that'd be great. Yeah, well, anyway, thanks much. Toodle-oo!"

ChrisT said:

I've got a nihilistic almost-15-year-old on my hands and I'm wondering what to do with him for the summer. I got him a job which he hates and wants to quit (after the third day!). He hates everything!confused.gif

Advice? Suggestions? Please share your experience of your 15th summer or your experiences with a cantankerous teenager. Anyone got a farm I can ship him to for the summer?

Hey ChrisT,

When I was 14/15, I was burning up cars of people that went parking in the woods, throwing propane cylinders into trash fires and shit like that, stealing bikes and sailboats for joyrides, and generally harming little defenseless animals (I'll stop right here and leave out the rest...).

At 15, I got a job as kitchen help for some meager pay and free room and board at a rich kid's summer camp in the mtns. Learned all about pot, girls, and other stuff, but being away from the folks for 3 months straight caused me to learn to do most shit for myself and to stay out of trouble.

Maybe something like that, where he's away from you guys, earning his own money with no place to spend it (mostly), responsible for his own actions and getting his own ass out of the sling when he gets in one, but not being forced to do shit like kiddie boot camps make you. Changed my life. YMMV

ChrisT did you ever consider entering him in a drives ed course. Its what I did the summer I turned 15. I thought it was cool because I got my permit and my parents let me drive, often. But as the parent be patient if he takes the corner a little to fast/slow(yes it is possible to take a corner to slow) do not say anything. Only say something if he doesn't see something that going to cause an accident.

I also found it interesting that you asked if there was i future in paintball. There doesn't need to be a future in a hobby. A hobby should be something to occupy his time, keep him out of trouble and let him have a good time. I'm nineteen and I don't do any of the things i did when I was 15 which include paintball, snowboarding and ice hockey.

I also cannot empahize for your son, 15 is to young to work. The only job a 15 year old should have is mowing the neighbors yard or something of that nature. Unless he does the drivers ed thing and he decides to keep the job because he wants a car.