Stoves

eternalX

Can I add another recommendation? The new superlight stove from coleman, the F1Ultralight, I believe it's called. Lighter than all the ones mentioned (by a few grams at least), pretty stable and folds down well. I got it for a replacement when my old canister stove busted and I've found it pretty cool so far.

In all honesty, i bet all of these ~3oz ultra light canister stoves do about the same job.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eternalX said:

Ended up getting the Pocket Rocket (with my rebate! yay!) and the MSR blacklight cookset. Thanks everyone

Can you believe they charge 3.95 for a plastic salt and pepper shakers?! that's lame beyond belief.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

yeah they should charge you like $59.95 for Ti salt and pepper shakers predrilled with lightening holes.

eternalX said:

Ended up getting the Pocket Rocket (with my rebate! yay!) and the MSR blacklight cookset. Thanks everyone

Can you believe they charge 3.95 for a plastic salt and pepper shakers?! that's lame beyond belief.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

i use my neighbors used crack dimebags for my salt and peppa...the residue gives it a nice kick...and renders GU obsolete hahaha.gifcantfocus.gif

catbirdseat said:

I camped out in the snow this weekend using a Pocket Rocket to melt drinking water. It takes forever compared to a gasoline stove. Having said that, it sure is convenient and light. Pocket Rocket for the way to go for summer use.

I also used one this weekend to melt snow with a MSR blacklite pot (thick aluminum base and painted black) I had chunks of ice turned into 2 quarts of full on boiling water within 5 minutes. Temp was 20-25 degrees, elevation 6,000' with gusty wind. I had stored the cannister inside my coat for 10 minutes prior and placed the stove and pot in a small snow pit to serve as a windbreak. We also used the pocket rocket in the morning to heat some water for coffee under the tarp we used for a shelter. I thought it worked pretty good.

However, on both occasions, I used a small plastic lid from a peanut butter jar as a stove base, with a little water in it as I had seen recomneded to help keep the cannister from freezing up. Both times, the water froze the plastic lid to the bottom of the cannister. I'm not sure if this method is supposed to be used in conjunction with a heat exchanger to keep the water warm, but in those conditions, it didn't seem to help, although I must admit, the flame was constant and hot just not sure the water in the lid was helping and may have been causing the cannister to be colder than it might have been otherwise.

Hey Bronco:

If you are just melting water the best way to keep the stove going after the evaporative cooling starts to diminish its output is to remove the pot from the stove for a moment or two, set it down, and dip the cannister in the warm/hot water that you are melting. The specific heat of water is so much higher than the fuel or the metal in the cannister that you'll be able to heat the stove back to the point where it's going full roar wihout noticeably cooling off the agua. If you are cooking a meal in the pot and you are a masochist you can warm the stove up pretty well just by placing your bare hands on the cannister.

I like the peanut-butter lid as stove base idea.

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

I have used all of the MSR stoves, all of the snow peak stoves, Optimus and all of the primus stoves on several trips each. While I think that the Pocket Rocket is the best canister stove for the money, my definite favorite is the Snow Peak Gigapower canister stoves (for short trips in moderate weather). It has the option of a wind screen which greatly improves efficiency and the flame is spread out over a greater area for cooking anything that might burn. It also is the most stylish (if style matters). For melting alot of water or a longer trip white gas becomes more efficient and reliable (as long as you know how to service your stove).

The new MSR and Snow Peak white gas stoves are super light, and have adjustable flames. I think they are the way to go.

MSR and Optimus stoves with Bell burners (MGK-II, Dragonfly, and Multi-fuel have the best performance in extremely adverse conditions)

Edited by flatland

iain said:

Dru said:

yeah they should charge you like $59.95 for Ti salt and pepper shakers predrilled with lightening holes.

you could save even more weight by just carrying titanium salt and pepper.

Pre-mix the salt and pepper, then you only have to carry one shaker.

I've found a good way to keep the canister stoves going in the cold is to cut out the bottom of a 2 liter soda bottle, put some water in there and put the canister in the water. Primus canisters, both 200 and 450 gram cannisters fit just right (I've found others are a bit big) and this significantly helps heat output. if you need to, prime with some more hot water from time to time. The plastic bottle cutout weighs next to nothing, too. the only downside is it will tip if you are not careful, so care must be taken not to tip the whole rig. I'm going to try gluing or otherwise attaching a square of closed cell foam pad (light and insulates from the snow) on the bottom to see if that helps stability. bigdrink.gif

Took the pocket rocket out for a good three day test this weekend and it worked like a charm! Boiled water quickly, didn't burn anythnig, and didn't even use up a whole canister of fuel. I paired it with the MSR blacklight aluminum cookware which i'm sure deserves some of the credit for the even cooking.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif