Midweek Barbeque

mattp

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love a burger if people will actually be there after 9:00 with food. I've found in the past that showing up after 9:15 means folks are there, but food and beer is almost gone. smile.gif

I'm pretty sure the easiest way to the picnic shelters is to come in on the 65th entrance (65th and sand point) and there should be signs once you're in the park itself.

aint_this_great said:

I would love a burger if people will actually be there after 9:00 with food. I've found in the past that showing up after 9:15 means folks are there, but food and beer is almost gone. smile.gif

I'm pretty sure the easiest way to the picnic shelters is to come in on the 65th entrance (65th and sand point) and there should be signs once you're in the park itself.

Well, there will be extra (I hope), but can't say whether they'll be warm or not.

So, could I take the 65th St. exit off of I-5 and just head West? Or is there an easier way?

Greg_W said:

So, could I take the 65th St. exit off of I-5 and just head West? Or is there an easier way?

There's one complicated jog on 65th on top of View Ridge, but otherwise, that oughta work fine. Just keep heading East.

If you're coming from Sultan you can take Bothel Way/Lake City Way (522) all the way to 125th AVE NE. Take a left on 125th and follow it East. Stay on the main road and it will eventually turn into Sand Point Way which will wind you down to Magnuson Park (NE 65th Street and Sand Point Way).

Also if you plan to take 520 East, then you could get off on Montlake Blvd. Head North on Montlake Blvd and just bear right when next to the mongo UW parking lots. This will dump you onto Sand Point Way from the other side. Follow it to Magnuson Park (NE 65th Street and Sand Point Way)

Take the 65th street exit and head EAST about 4 miles or so, staying on the main arterial where it curves around a ridge near the end and then drops down a hill. At Sand Point Way, head straight into the "park" passing the old Sand Point Naval Station PX and, at the very end of the street, look for a parking area off to the right.

Coming from the East side, though, you may want to exit from 520 at Montlake Way, then head north and stay to the right to get onto 45th Street after about a mile, and follow the main arterial which will become Sand Point Way. After about two miles, turn right on 65th, and head past the old PX.

I think Picnic Shelter 1 is probably the best for our group because it is the largest (with 5 barbeque grills so Greg can bring a 5 legged cow) and it has a fireplace. Park hours are 'till 11:30 p.m. so we ought to be able to enjoy some campfire stories. It is a kid-friendly place and dog-friendly as well so there is no excuse for not showing up!

mattp said:

It is a kid-friendly place and dog-friendly as well so there is no excuse for not showing up!

But is it a kid and dog -friendly crowd? fruit.gif

(I had a hard time explaining AlpineK's shredder sig to my 5 year old yesterday. "Why's he laughing Daddy?")

So right now we have some discussion groups and other activites led by Erik. We have some burgers provided with non-grocery store procured beef from GregW.We still need some other picnic stuff (chips, dips, salads, and sides) to munch on, buns and condiments for the burgers, paper plates and stuff.We need an estimate headcount so here's a poll so we can figure it out.

Attending or notI am attending soloI am attending with 1 guestAttending with 2 guestsNot showing up 'cause you're all freaks!

I'll bring some condiments for the burgers: mayo, mustard, ketchup, lettuce, tomotoes and pickles.What can the rest of you bring?

Norman_Clyde said:

I myself will bring home-made garden burgers, a delightful medley of my own creation made from clippings from my own yard (no animals were harmed in the making of these burgers-- well, cry.gifmaybe a few insects, but I'm working on that), garnished with wild blackberries picked from the park's own vines. I know it's April, but there should be a few green berries just coming out. Yum Yum!

I didn't manage to mow my lawn this weekend, so the home made veggie burgers are out.