New England?

glen

Getting close to graduating and having to actually get a job blush.gif . The options increase pretty dramatically if I include NE in the list of areas that I'm willing to live. Obviously, there aren't huge mountains there, but there are apparently some good climbing and mountain biking spots out there. What's the scoop on life in New England for the outdoor-inclined. Specifically, upstate NY, NH and VM area. Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not an expert, but the White Mtns (Mt Washington/presidentials) are in a pretty nice, albeit remote area. Lotsa different stuff to do there. Last month drove 3.5 hrs each way from Boston. Nashua might be nice, but I'm guessing you would find most job opps in the largest metro areas...which can be very different from city to city of course.

You might want to contact that gurl moving from the Boston area, if we haven't scared her away.

glen, it is by no means as cool as the pac nw, but you will find cool spots. I have only done a little ice climbing up there which for the most part is way more consistant than here. If you want I have a good friend in NH that I could put you in touch with. He has done like everything up there. He says Rumney is the shit for clippin'.

bigdrink.gif

Doug

went to school in burlington vt. it is a cool town, lots of moutain biking near stowe and sugarbush, about 45 minutes away, plus some smaller stuff closer. climbing in north conway NH and the gunks, NY those are about 3 hours. read about climbing in northern NY, which is closer and there is some crag near burlington, not that great from what i hear. If you want to climb a lot move to new paltz NY or central NH.

Glen-

Check out

neice.com, climbnh.com, www.vtclimbing.com + gunks.com

Where are you thinking of basing yourself out of? The white mountains are nice - but tend to get crowded with Bostonians. The Adirondacks have plenty of wilderness, and oppurtunities for any (and every) sport you can think of (ice climbing, rock climbing, steep skiing, canoeing, wwkayaking, hiking, mbiking - the list goes on)

Carl

New England and upstate NY are pretty good places to live if you are a climber. Lots of crags for rock & ice, and of course bouldering. Mountaineering options are limited, but Mt. Washington and Cannon Mt. in NH, and Mt. Katahdin in ME can dish up some good challenges.

Most of America's top alpine climbers have spent time in the Northeast due to the training potential. To get a feel for the history and current scene, check out the video "Uncommon Ground".

The best New England states in order are Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Portland is only 2 hrs from North Conway where the best and biggest mountains are. Many Bostonians would take smaller paychecks to live in Maine if they could find a decent job. Portland, North Conway and Burlington are excellent choices.

Traveling east/west in northern New England is an excersize in driving and navigation skills!

Glen, born and raised in Lebanon NH, Dartmouth college area. Then got smart and moved here.

Very good points posted here, tons of outdoors stuff to do, takes forever to get there though. The skiing can be extremely icy and frigid. The upper valley area (lebanon,dartmouth) has some decent job opp's and worth checking out as it is a central location. Give me a PM for any ?.

Lambone,

Find me a nerdy academic job in Ashland and i will gladly move there.

Thanks for all the great pointers on NE. It seems like it wouldn't be horrible to live there (good mtn biking), even though it's no PNW. It'll certainly be interesting to see where I end up!

Geek_em8.gif

As a NEW HAMPSHIRE NATIVE, I can say that the climbing blows dog balls compared to out here. Don't do it. DO NOT MOVE TO NEW ENGLAND!! The mountains are lumps, and the only glaciers are in people's freezers.

Black flies and mosquitoes where ever you go. Shoveling snow all winter long, mud all spring, muggy hot in the summer, rains all fall, and the tourists are as dumb as shit, and are everywhere.

There is more climbing in Squamish that in all of New Hampshire.