Booty

dryad

So there I was in Leavenworth with E-rock and he scored himself a rake (yes, the kind for leaves) that was lying around near our campsite. So it made me wonder, what was the most unique booty item that any of you have found on or near a climb?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twice this year while out climbing, someone in our group has found a 20 dollar bill on the ground. What are the chances of that? First time was in the middle of nowhere on Ruth Mountain in February. Second time was below the counter at the Chevron at Snowcrummy Pass in April. If trends continue, I should be finding my next 20-spot in June.

dalius said:

i know that the campground caretakers (the old people that live in the giant RVs all summer on the campground) use a rake to collect sticks and tidy up a campsite. doh! looks like they're out one now wink.gif

This wasn't a real campsite, just a pull-off on some random dirt road. So no need to feel guilty about pilfering some caretaker's rake.

dryad said:

dalius said:

i know that the campground caretakers (the old people that live in the giant RVs all summer on the campground) use a rake to collect sticks and tidy up a campsite. doh! looks like they're out one now wink.gif

This wasn't a real campsite, just a pull-off on some random dirt road. So no need to feel guilty about pilfering some caretaker's rake.

the caretakers like everyone who works the icicle are assholes!

free the icicle!

erik said:

the caretakers like everyone who works the icicle are assholes!free the icicle!

If you had to deal with climbers every day you'd turn into an asshole too! For some reason climbers think that while everyone else has to obey the rules (like paying for a campsite), they are somehow special and do not.

cbs

i would say the majority of the campers in the icicle are not climbers, a fair maount yes but not the majority.

plus the rude ass people have only been there for about 5 years, the same time the deforrest service privatized the camping. hmmmm

and how and why should we be charges to lay on dirt? seems silly.

and i dont camp at the camp grounds.

and i obey the rules of nature when i am in nature. i obey the rules of man, when i am dealing with man. i do not go outside to participate in another form of being told what to do. how i can experience the mountains. i go there to get away from all that bullshit.

erik said:

cbs

i would say the majority of the campers in the icicle are not climbers, a fair maount yes but not the majority.

plus the rude ass people have only been there for about 5 years, the same time the deforrest service privatized the camping. hmmmm

and how and why should we be charges to lay on dirt? seems silly.

and i dont camp at the camp grounds.

and i obey the rules of nature when i am in nature. i obey the rules of man, when i am dealing with man. i do not go outside to participate in another form of being told what to do. how i can experience the mountains. i go there to get away from all that bullshit.

You may be very responsible and pick up your own trash and bury your own shit, but there are lots of people who are not. If everybody did as they damn well pleased, the Icicle would soon look like a garbage dump and smell like a cesspool. Someone has to be paid to pick up the trash and pump the shit out of the pit and put toilet paper on the roll. It ain't going to happen for free. As you say, if you don't like it, go camp primitive where it is free, but don't complain about paying in the improved sites.

i never complained about the improved sites. i complained about the peope who manage them.

also to note they are hosts and not enforcement. fuck them and their attitude. they support what i do not. therefore they can kiss my ass. i have no problems with people volunteering their time, but once they place personal worth on something that belongs to all of us then they are in thr wrong. the land is for all to enjoy and not the people who can afford it.

they are privatizing the icicle and the old people whom host it repersent and support it. fuck them!

Not booty, but just once in a climbing season I'd like to not find a popped kiddy balloon remnant (usually with ribbon still attached) in the mountains. Seems like I run across one at least twice per year. First time I thought it was a fluke. Now I think not seeing one would be a fluke.

I've found probably 4 or 5 cams (3 of them were brand spankin' shiny new, some idiots out there were really kicking themselves for that one, I'm sure, thanks! grin.gif), tricams, petzl Tikka, tons of nuts, but nothing weird really, just a whole lot of sweet BOOT-AY!

A greasy, stinky roach in the summit register of Guye Peak (caused us trouble on the descent.)

A brand new Leatherman tool on the trail into Del Campo.

An A5 wall hammer and a pair of plastic boots at the base of Liberty Crack. We left them there figuring someone would be bummed to return from an ascent to find them missing.

An entire top rope anchor (tricam, 2 nuts, 5 biners and various slings) buried under a foot of snow at Devils Lake, WI. (I snagged those.)

A six pack of dark micro brew (carton and labels missing) stashed under some trees on a summertime Denny Peak/Tooth traverse.

A matching pair of rental skis on a tour up to the top of 7th Heaven at Stevens one fine spring day.

A black rubber snake on the summit enclosure of the Weaver's Needle in the Superstition Mountains of AZ. (I subsequently used it to scare a stain onto the undies of my herpaphobic partner.)

The nearly frozen bodies of two complete idiots near the top of the south face of the Tooth one clear and very cold winter day. They would have most likely died from a bad combination of hypothermia-induced poor judgement, lack of climbing skills and suitable winter clothing, and a setting sun. We left them after making sure they were relatively warm and safe at Pineapple Pass (The Alpental ski patrol knew where they were before we drove home.)

Leatherman downhill from the Cascade Pass parking lot, in front of the path to the climber's campsite, a wrecked passenger airplane from the '40s or '50s in a couloir and a pair of sunglasses and one touring ski with old style cable bindings from the '60s in a bowl on a Colorado fourteener that looked like they had been there a long, long time. We looked around for awhile for the other ski and bones. Didn't find either.

a full can of Rainier beer at a bivy site on the Turtle.

a pair of glacier glasses melting out of the side of the moat at the bottom of Chair Peak.

a cool little Alien at the bottom of 3 Blind Dikes

a tripped out hippie chick wandering around the netherlands at City of Rocks....asking if we'd seen her clothes.