Anyone: Firewire question

ChrisT

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You should be able to, a computer is a computer... just add or replace your modem with a network modem that supports a fire-wire... depending on how old your comp is, you may have an extra plug so you can just add one, but if not then you will have to replace the old one... save it thoght, just in case you need to move it where there is no fire-wire, and have to put the modem back in...

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm from planet PC.

What Fejas was referring to, it seems, was using Firewire for an internet connection. Lots of other peripherals can attach directly to your computer via a firewire cable though, like printers and scanners and such, and if you don't have the right port, you could be screwed.

It seems like older (Firewire 400) devices can be plugged into the newer Firewire 800(1394) ports, with a special adapter, but I don't know if you can plug the newer (800) devices into the older (400) port that's on your computer. If your computer takes cards though, you can buy the new firewire cards for cheap and give your computer the capability to run these devices.

Don't quote me on that. confused.gif

ChrisT said:

Can I use the newer high speed firewire on my older model iMac? (graphite edition circa 12/1999)

You can use an old firewire device on a new firewire iMac (backwards compatibility), but I doubt you would be able to use a new firewire device on an old firewire iMac (forwards compatibility).

You can't teach an old dog new tricks (at least not without a hardware upgrade!).

From the Apple website:

Backwards Compatibility

Manufacturers have adopted FireWire for a broad range of devices, such as DV cameras, hard drives, digital still cameras, professional audio, printers, scanners and home entertainment. Adapter cables for the FireWire 800 9-pin connector let you use these FireWire 400 products on the FireWire 800 port.

well at least you're getting warmer dalius - thanks!

I'll be using the firewire to download photos from a Nikon DH1 (high end digital camera). We currently use the 400 firewire for video and iPod. My low-end digital camera uses USB.

jkrueger said:

ChrisT said:

Can I use the newer high speed firewire on my older model iMac? (graphite edition circa 12/1999)

You can use an old firewire device on a new firewire iMac (backwards compatibility), but I doubt you would be able to use a new firewire device on an old firewire iMac (forwards compatibility).

You can't teach an old dog new tricks (at least not without a hardware upgrade!).

From the Apple website:

Backwards Compatibility

Manufacturers have adopted FireWire for a broad range of devices, such as DV cameras, hard drives, digital still cameras, professional audio, printers, scanners and home entertainment. Adapter cables for the FireWire 800 9-pin connector let you use these FireWire 400 products on the FireWire 800 port.

that's what I thought! frown.gif

ChrisT said:

jkrueger said:

ChrisT said:

From the Apple website:

Backwards Compatibility

that's what I thought! frown.gif

Gosh, sounds complicated. I thought Macs were supposed to be simple to use, no? confused.gif

as far as I know you can use older devices on the new firewire 800 port, but not vice versa. not like there are many 800 devices even shipping yet. I'm sure there will be bridges available to deal with that situation though.