Which 4WD SUV?

RobBob

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just spent 2 months doing research on that very topic. I narrowed the field to the undisputed best built SUV's EVER.

The Land Rover Discovery and the Toyota Land Cruiser. I found that the LC was more reliable and had a better re-sale value than the Disco. I have driven both on many occasions and I also found the LC to be a bit more stable in the tight turns. Although both are exceptional at off-roading. Both have full time 4wd and differential locks with 2 ranges. In the Disco I drove it on 35 degree angles sideways and it also has excellent clearance. The LC has around 8.5-9 inches of clearance and can cross water up to its headlights with no problem, and can drive over railroad tie sized bumps with out spilling you beer....I MEAN LATTE.

My budget allowed me to get a 1991 FJ80 LC, It is an excellent truck. It does get poor gas mileage but that is expected. The only other pitfall of the 1991 to 1992 LC is the 155 BHP 3FE L-6. In 1993 they upgraded to a 215 BHP 1FZE L-6. Which is actually more HP than the Disco's V-8. Gas mileage is similar but you will obviously pay more. Other upgrades in the 1993-1994 models include ABS and Full Disc breaks (which the disco comes with standard). The Disco seats 5 and 7 with the center facing rear seat package. The LC seats 5 and 8 with the forward facing rear seat package. The discovery is a SUV built for the city driver, and it can go off road very well. The Land Cruiser pre 1995 was built for off road, and it could be driven in the city. I have lots of other info on this and on the 4 runner and how it was changed over the years. I also have safety stats. For instance if I had a family I would not get a pre 1994 4runner (death traps). And the LC has one of the best roll over ratings of all SUV's world wide. So if you want more info contact me I would be happy to share.

good luck

Kyle

ps check out epinions.com, edmunds.com, consumerreports.com, cars.com, and msncars.com they allow you to research customer reviews and car stats.

fruit.gifbigdrink.gif

JoshK said:

Charlie said:

It doesn't look cool, it looks idiotic. You look like a fucking soccer mom, you poser. Also, you might want to check up on safety ratings. Your SUK is less safe in most cases. They aren't designed for safety, they are simply trucks with a shitty canopy thrown on and some seats added. They crumple like a pop can in a bad accident. They have to meet much less stringent safety standards than cars, not to mention they have this tendency to do something called roll over, which particularly sucks and is the easiest way to get yourself killed.

What do you drive sweetie pie (what did mommy and daddy buy for you to drive)? If I roll, it's my fault. But if somebody t-bones me, they're going to be hitting my running boards, instead of my head and torso. Make sence? As for calling me a poser- maybe we can meet up later so I can kick in your head. Does that sound fun?

All of this negativity makes baby Jesus cry cry.gif

The solution to all of our problems is simple. Lets see......we want a vehicle that seats a lot of people, gets ok gas mileage, is not too huge but still has good enough ground clearance and four wheel drive to head for the hills and that will handle the highway with grace and poise. And it must look like a car on steroids or a wussy SUV...... My friends what we need is the AMC EAGLE to be back in production the_finger.gif

My first car was an AMC Concord, it was gold and it ruled. All the ladies wanted me and all the guys wanted to be me.

OK...I was a dork but I have a big ass Land Cruiser now and I am not afraid to use it.

Peace love climb

Kyle

fruit.gif

K_Y_L_E said:

All of this negativity makes baby Jesus cry cry.gif

The solution to all of our problems is simple. Lets see......we want a vehicle that seats a lot of people, gets ok gas mileage, is not too huge but still has good enough ground clearance and four wheel drive to head for the hills and that will handle the highway with grace and poise. And it must look like a car on steroids or a wussy SUV...... My friends what we need is the AMC EAGLE to be back in production the_finger.gif

My first car was an AMC Concord, it was gold and it ruled. All the ladies wanted me and all the guys wanted to be me.

OK...I was a dork but I have a big ass Land Cruiser now and I am not afraid to use it.

Peace love climb

Kyle

fruit.gif

LR Discovery is a poser mobile for yuppies that never drive it offroad.

LR Defender-90 is the real deal if you want a LR.

JoshK said:

Also, you might want to check up on safety ratings. Your SUK is less safe in most cases. They aren't designed for safety, they are simply trucks with a shitty canopy thrown on and some seats added. They crumple like a pop can in a bad accident.

Vehicles are designed to crumple for safety for the same reasons you climb with dynamic ropes instead of static ropes.

Thanks, dipshit, but mommy and daddy didn't buy me a car. I own my car, and a house too, thanks very much. I'm glad you are helping to keep up the roadwars mentality. Hell, maybe I should just buy a mack truck so I can run your sorry ass SUV over if we get in a wreck? moon.gif

Attitude said:

JoshK said:

Also, you might want to check up on safety ratings. Your SUK is less safe in most cases. They aren't designed for safety, they are simply trucks with a shitty canopy thrown on and some seats added. They crumple like a pop can in a bad accident.

Vehicles are designed to crumple for safety for the same reasons you climb with dynamic ropes instead of static ropes.

Yes, crumple zones are designed to crumple. This is what cars have. The tops of SUVs on the other hand are not designed to be crumple zones, due to the fact that they contain the heads of the occupants. rolleyes.gif

Charlie said:

What do you drive sweetie pie (what did mommy and daddy buy for you to drive)? If I roll, it's my fault. But if somebody t-bones me, they're going to be hitting my running boards, instead of my head and torso. Make sence? As for calling me a poser- maybe we can meet up later so I can kick in your head. Does that sound fun?

Car1 broadsides car2: car2 takes collision in side impact beams

Car broadsides suk: car totalled, and occupants screwed up, SUK flips, occupants screwed up

suk broadsides car: bumper goes through windows, car occupants killed, and suk driver hopefully gets sued for all she's worth

While I've definatly seen bad car drivers and good SUK drivers, I tend to see that the SUK drivers are worse. I like what Dru said earlier, the safer you think you are, the worse you drive. By buying an SUK you're forcing everyone else to buy an SUK (which also tend to be roll-o-matic specials... why do Suzukis and Mistubishis need roll-meters if it's not an issue) to be on the same level of "safety". Not only is it selfish, but then people can't buy small, fuel efficient cars because they actually care about the environment if they want to be safe.

JoshK said:

Thanks, dipshit, but mommy and daddy didn't buy me a car. I own my car, and a house too, thanks very much. I'm glad you are helping to keep up the roadwars mentality. Hell, maybe I should just buy a mack truck so I can run your sorry ass SUV over if we get in a wreck? moon.gif

cry.gif

No a 1971 landrover series II-A is a real machine. A defender 90 is for people that have an extra $60,000 to spend on what is essentially a red paint job. Besides Rovers in general are too un-reliable. I prefer the Toyota Landcruiser I have a 1969 and a 1991. The new ones suck. I wish my 1991 had power nothing and a 5 speed, but the yuppies cant drive 5-speeds. Oh and by the way I have pics of my 1991 crossing rivers and climbing 50+ degree hills. I assure you that I am not a poser. As a matter of fact I have installed poser guards on the front of both my cruisers. And I had to sell a kidney to buy my climbing gear, I am not a trust fund baby looking for a hobby. But I do agree with you for the most part. 98% of the "luxury SUV" market does not actually use them, and they are not built for it anymore. Leather heated seats dont give you any more ground clearence.

Take er easy fruit.gif

minx said:

JoshK said:

Charlie said:

"It you have the macho-mobile to go pick up you're kids from school then you deserve to be humiliated with a sticker. I tagged ten shiny, never-seen-mud giants at REI this weekend."...give me a break. If you personally own a vehicle, or a pair of leather shoes for that matter, then SHUT THE FUCK UP. "I'm bad but you're worse cry.gif" I drive an SUV because it has plenty of storage, 4 wheel drive for the snow, is safer (for me and the people in it) because it's larger and higher off the ground than other vehicles on the road, and because it looks COOL!!!! And if you're a REAL climber, what were you doing hanging out at REI on a weekend? Just got back from the gym and stopped off to grab a latte and a crazy creek chair?

thumbs_down.gif

It doesn't look cool, it looks idiotic. You look like a fucking soccer mom, you poser. Also, you might want to check up on safety ratings. Your SUK is less safe in most cases. They aren't designed for safety, they are simply trucks with a shitty canopy thrown on and some seats added. They crumple like a pop can in a bad accident. They have to meet much less stringent safety standards than cars, not to mention they have this tendency to do something called roll over, which particularly sucks and is the easiest way to get yourself killed.

all of you on both sides of this need to stfu! I own a small SUV, i have my reasons and they're none of your business. I also have other vehicles. whatever. rolleyes.gif

besides what's wrong w/looking like a soccer mom? i look pretty good at the soccer games!

Minx, it was established early on in this thread that the majority of people don't have a problem with moderate SUKs. It's the giant dipshit mobiles such as Pukons, Suxpiditions, Ghettoslades, Nadgrators, Suxcursions and the like.

I'm sure you look great at soccer games, but most men probably don't want to look like a soccer mom. They think they look tough driving their giant SUK but they just look like yet another yuppie poser driving a soccer mom mobile. pitty.gif

K_Y_L_E said:

No a 1971 landrover series II-A is a real machine. A defender 90 is for people that have an extra $60,000 to spend on what is essentially a red paint job. Besides Rovers in general are too un-reliable. I prefer the Toyota Landcruiser I have a 1969 and a 1991. The new ones suck. I wish my 1991 had power nothing and a 5 speed, but the yuppies cant drive 5-speeds. Oh and by the way I have pics of my 1991 crossing rivers and climbing 50+ degree hills. I assure you that I am not a poser. As a matter of fact I have installed poser guards on the front of both my cruisers. And I had to sell a kidney to buy my climbing gear, I am not a trust fund baby looking for a hobby. But I do agree with you for the most part. 98% of the "luxury SUV" market does not actually use them, and they are not built for it anymore. Leather heated seats dont give you any more ground clearence.

Take er easy fruit.gif

A friend in montana has a '74 cruiser. that thing ruled and got us into hyalite day after day. It was much less trouble driving that then the giant 2500 GMC sierra dave and I had borrowed. pitty.gif

JoshK- you're not a very good arguer. You're sidestepping left and right. "oh, if you're a soccer mom, then soccer mom's are ok".."oh, you've got a landrover, landrover's are cool..." Stick to your guns big boy. I'm not really planning on kicking your head in, I just wanted to remind you that when your flinging around insults- you're actually talking to a real person that you might actually meet someday. So- what do you drive?

Hey guy I didnt mean anything by it. Just trying to lighten things up. people are a bit tense here, and a bit too defensive. Do you shower every day, do you always rope up on glaciers, do you eat a balanced breakfast......whatever I dont really care what you do, Its your life, not mine. Do what makes you happy and dont get in other peoples faces for what makes them happy.

I've got a Land Rover Disco and I don't understand why you all consider it a poseur mobile. As I mentioned before, back home, Land Rover is predominantly a working vehicle for farmers and cops. It is not just a car on a truck chassis unlike most of the other purported SUVs in the U.S.

Making broad statements that no Discos go off-road is a lot of bollocks. There's even a Land Rover off-road club right here in the North-West. Admittedly, I'm not rich enough that I can afford to completely total my rig in off-road events, but it does get plenty off-road action around here.

As for the Defender...if you're going to go that route, get the 110. I wish they sold them in the U.S. I'd be able to take everybody and their granny climbing then...holding on tightly as you slide back and forth on the bench seats. The 90 is just a wee thing that hasn't been sold in the U.S. since '97 I believe.

I hear what you're saying about many SUV drivers, but I think that Land Rover is an exception being that it and the Toyota Land Cruiser have been creating generations of off-road enthusiasts for over 50 years.

Don't tar us all with the same brush mate.

Charlie said:

JoshK- you're not a very good arguer. You're sidestepping left and right. "oh, if you're a soccer mom, then soccer mom's are ok".."oh, you've got a landrover, landrover's are cool..." Stick to your guns big boy. I'm not really planning on kicking your head in, I just wanted to remind you that when your flinging around insults- you're actually talking to a real person that you might actually meet someday. So- what do you drive?

Since when did I say landrovers are cool? Early on this thread I said they were crap and broke down a lot. I also never said anything about soccer moms are ok to drive them, I simply said that guys probably dont want to look like one.

I stick to my guns, and I'll say it like I think it is. Giant SUVs suck. They are largely worthless. About 1% of the people who have them actually need them and the rest of the people buy them for the idiotic image they represent. They are a symbol of excess stupidy and waste, and I'd love to see a hell of a lot less of them on the road. BTW, I realize you weren't planning on kicking my head in. tongue.gif And I know I might meet some of these people some day. Some of them I already have met. I have plenty of friends who drive SUVs. I tell them that they suck, enumerate the reasons why, and try my best to get them to purchase something better for their next vehicle. If you really care, I drive an audi.

Since when did I say landrovers are cool? Early on this thread I said they were crap and broke down a lot.

Again, I have 73K on the clock of mine and I've never had anything wrong with it. What's so crap about that?

Also, I've heard some horror stories about Audi but what's the point of going there?

right on Gowans. You from the Isles? Why does the US get all the sissy versions of vehicles and beer? Oh and if you really want a 110 find a way to sneak one into the states and then register it as a series II-A. The government has no Idea what a landrover series II-A is. My bro has one and I think they called it a Jeep on the title becaus could not find it in their computer. And dont get me wrong on my posts about land cruisers vs discos. I almost bought one but once you are a cruiser or a disco fan you stay one. They both are truly incredible machines. Just take a gander at the ones they retrofitted to cross the antarctic. Pretty sweet.

cheers bigdrink.gif

the land/range rovers are for the british military. same as the hummer is for the us military. they are not commuters. I can think of a few places I would consider owning one, and one would be east africa where they never see pavement at all and they are a dime a dozen over there, along with the old land cruiser (how the hell did that become a luxury car). there are very few people I could think of that could possibly need fulltime 4wd. that said, it's obviously peoples' choice here to buy what they want, but it won't stop them from looking silly. a 70's defender is about a billion times cooler than the land yacht stuff mentioned above too. but who wants to pay that much for gas to commute on I-5 95% of the time in full 4 wheeling mode?

JoshK said:

If you really care, I drive an audi.

I saw that car at the entrance to Mountaineer Creek Road about a month ago. Gotta love any sedan that you can crash in at a trailhead. Your car is cool.

I also think that oversized SUV's are oversized posermobiles that flat out suck when you actually try to take them on tough roads: tough to maneuver, get high centered all the ^%#ing time due to the long distance between axles, their rear ends get hung up on obstacles after they pass over them, and heavy as all hell if they get stuck - try getting a 'Burban to budge with a come-a-long - and don't even get me started on the pimped out navigators with low profile tires, etc.

But - I still think the claim about SUV's singlehandedly bringing about an environmental cataclysm are an utter crock. Any passenger vehicle with a 3.0 V6 or higher, let alone a V8 (quite a few minivans packing an 8 these days, and these are also classified as light trucks for emissions purposes) changes the climate just as much as the average SUV. How about a crusade agains mini-vans? I'd support that. thumbs_up.gif

.....so my buddy with a Disco loves to drive his rig everywhere, except offroad . One day while finally taking it offroad, driving bad on logging roads, and after much taunting decides to really take it offroad , and almost gets stuck in the mud, backs it into a stump . It made funny noise as he drove it off the stump and he's visably upset all the way home .

Later takes it to the dealer and $1,800 hellno3d.gif later and a tongue lashing from the dealer he never took it offroad again . Geek_em8.gif

Defenders are cool, but I don't know anyone rich enough to drive one . hahaha.gif

-J