OH MY GAD!

Anna

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna said:

Nothing to do with climbing but....there are two F-15's doing low passes over the Eugene runway right now....BEAUTIFUL!

What I wouldn't do for a ride in one of those!

I SAW THEM grin.gif it's a damn good thing I spent summers arround an airforce base when I was a kid or I would have thought the house was comming down wink.gifgrin.gif

I really love the F-15, but I think the coolest aircraft/climbing interaction I ever had was standing atop the Gendarme at Seneca Rocks, WV (before it fell down), belaying my partner up, and pondering the roaring sound that was growing in my ears. A split second later, I saw the exhaust from an ANG A-4 barrelling down-valley right towards me, below ridge level. He roared past, and just as he passed in front of and below me, he pulled a hard g wingover and headed up and out of the valley. He was so close to the rock I could clearly see his goggles on his face.

My partner, on the back side of the Gendarme and not yet topped out, nearly shit his pants, thinking the whole pinnacle was coming down (it did, several years later, tho)!

...sobo

Similar experience hanging out in northern England out on the moors as a kid, a RAF tornado barreled right over a hill. It was totally silent until it was right on top of us and then it was deafening. The thing was hauling too, probably was doing laps around the island or something

Back around 1988 or 89 some pilot from CFB Cold Lake was taking a CF-18 to Vancouver Island and decided he'd show the plane off to his Mom in west van. well he brought it in over the North Shore at Mach 1.3 and broke some windows with the sonic boom. Hee hee. I was in high school at the time, one of our teachers wigged out, she thought the Russians were attacking. yellaf.gif

Dru said:

Back around 1988 or 89 some pilot from CFB Cold Lake was taking a CF-18 to Vancouver Island and decided he'd show the plane off to his Mom in west van. well he brought it in over the North Shore at Mach 1.3 and broke some windows with the sonic boom. Hee hee. I was in high school at the time, one of our teachers wigged out, she thought the Russians were attacking. yellaf.gif

Psh ... women! yellaf.gif

I went to a summer camp at CFB Cold Lake and got a tour of

those CF-18s, and I learned that they are made of plastic and

can easily be taken down with a bow and arrow yellaf.gif . The

person who did the best in the other part of the camp that

I was not at even got a joyride in one as a prize blush.gif ... lucky!