the signal is given, he is no longer the master of

policy but the slave of

unforeseeable and uncontrollable events."

Winston Churchill

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the trouble with this war... The quality of quotes has just gone right down.

"The enemy we're fighting is different from the one we had war-gamed against," says Lieutenant General William Wallace

One senior administration official put it this way: "'Shock and Awe' is Air Force bull---!"

"Our force package is very light," said a retired senior general

Philly.com

vegetablebelay said:

....the trouble with this war...

Is that we're dancing around trying to fight a politically correct war and spare all of the civilian casualties. the_finger.gif Won't continue for long though.... wave.gif

You're absolutely right VB. We stay the course we're on and we're gonna take an ass-whoopin'. Time to go in there and level the damn place and finish off that shitheal Saddam.

trask said:

Screw the Geneva Convention. If Saddam wants to ignore it I say we play hardball and nuke his ass.

Careful there... Under your current Commander in Chief's rules of enguagement you're gonna make the US out to a be:

"a regime that has built such terrible weapons and has used them to kill thousands; a brutal regime with a history of both reckless ambition and reckless miscalculation."

(from Bush's Statement On Iraq Measure Nov. 8, 2002)

Someone might decide to nuke DC before things get out of hand.

quote]Careful there... Under your current Commander in Chief's rules of enguagement you're gonna make the US out to a be:

"a regime that has built such terrible weapons and has used them to kill thousands; a brutal regime with a history of both reckless ambition and reckless miscalculation."

(from Bush's Statement On Iraq Measure Nov. 8, 2002)

Someone might decide to nuke DC before things get out of hand.

Mr. Ade, I can see from your little logo that you are a proud citizen of England. Mr. Blair is a gentleman and educated man that has risen far above your pathetic troll. I have read your other ramblings and have to assume that you don't enjoy your stay in United States of America. Why then don't you leave and go back to England so you can make Mr. Blair so proud of your anti-government statements and stand. I would imagine that you are the same small little man there as you have chose to represent yourself here. Good bye, JD.

A7U,

My comment was strictly about your---I mean Johnny D's real identity.

I'm a right-leaning person who uses his brain. And I think everyone should fully support the troops and leadership, and STFU until it's over. I even think the second-guessing retired military kibbitzers should put a sock in it---they know better than to second-guess those in command in wartime! madgo_ron.gifhellno3d.gif

After they surrender, we can argue about objectives, strategy, tactics until the cows come home. Until then, we ought to be quiet and supportive. Now you know where I stand, A7U, whoever you are?

RobBob said:

I'm a right-leaning person who uses his brain.

And I think everyone should fully support the troops and leadership, and STFU until it's over.

Until then, we ought to be quiet and supportive.

So in your first statement you say that you are a free-thinking find of guy. Then you turn around and suggest that we should all stand in lockstep unity regarding the war even if we do not agree with it. confused.gif

"Quiet and supportive" well, that little nug speaks for itself. You're not going to tell me that it's a bellwether of democracy now areya? hahaha.gif

Allison,

So you've decided to ignore the advice I gave you yesterday, and instead take it personally...that's too bad, because I don't know ya, and was trying to offer you sound advice. It wasn't a personal attack.

There is a point to my post above, even if you don't get it. People with military backgrounds know what I'm talking about. The time for debate, no matter what your feelings are, is before and after the war. During the war, it is of no value to debate the issues. The only purpose that debate and protest can serve now is to demoralize our own troops and to serve as inspiration to the enemy. The point has been made here before, but A7U or whatever his name is suggested that I was sometimes-left-sometimes-right, and I was responding to him.

You folks who continue to assert your rights to free speech believe that some of us don't understand those rights. We DO understand those rights. We recognize, however, that you do not understand the psychology of war, and the importance of doing your part at the right time, regardless of your leanings.

Re-read allison's post Robbob, I don't think she's taking it personally, she's arguing with your interpretaton. I can see your point, but it doesn't offer much comfort. If someone does something in your name that you believe is absolutely wrong, you should just shut up until they're done? I can't really come up with an analogy that isn't hysterical hyperbole, but surely you can grasp the enormity of the dilemma between being totally opposed to the reasons for this war and wanting it to be over with minimal casualties? Do I recall correctly that you were generally in favor of the invasion? That would make it much easier to be quiet.

I thought I'd go ahead and give you a serious reply.

I'd be satisfied if we get out with minimal casualties on both sides, Saddam Hussein dead or gone, a viable non-totalitarian Iraqi government swiftly installed, ample demonstration to the world that this was not about US profit in oil and re-construction contracts, no expansion of US ambitions for empire, no contribution to turmoil in other nations in the region, and that we follow through on promises to help Afghanistan. I'd also like the US to stop acting the 800lb gorilla, so the rest of the world is not inspired to form alliances to counter the threat of a rogue superpower. Oh, and while I'm wishing, how about a resounding and humiliating defeat for Bush in 2004, a repudiation of neo-conservative claptrap, and a resumption of respect for civil liberties. That would satisfy me.

Off_White said:

I thought I'd go ahead and give you a serious reply.

I'd be satisfied if we get out with minimal casualties on both sides, Saddam Hussein dead or gone, a viable non-totalitarian Iraqi government swiftly installed, ample demonstration to the world that this was not about US profit in oil and re-construction contracts, no expansion of US ambitions for empire, no contribution to turmoil in other nations in the region, and that we follow through on promises to help Afghanistan. I'd also like the US to stop acting the 800lb gorilla, so the rest of the world is not inspired to form alliances to counter the threat of a rogue superpower. Oh, and while I'm wishing, how about a resounding and humiliating defeat for Bush in 2004, a repudiation of neo-conservative claptrap, and a resumption of respect for civil liberties. That would satisfy me.

A nice wish list my friend. I agree with most of it. I do feel however, that Democrats in Office will hunt for any bit of dirt to smear Bush and the victory in Iraq. I feel the Dems. hate Bush so much, that nothing will satisfy them other than his resignation. Blind hatred. Trask vs. Sexual Choc. style

oh btw, Atlantic Monthly Editor, Michael Kelly, Killed in Iraq...bummer