• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

trask said:

Catturd -

My agruments have been posted for the last three months. I'm done arguing. Now I'm kickin' back with some little smokies and a beer and enjoying the Big Show. Give it a rest.

I know it's wrong of me to say, but at this point it's a little like watching a football game.

AlpineK said:

trask said:

Catturd -

My agruments have been posted for the last three months. I'm done arguing. Now I'm kickin' back with some little smokies and a beer and enjoying the Big Show. Give it a rest.

I know it's wrong of me to say, but at this point it's a little like watching a football game.

exactly, no one is gonna change anyone else's opinion so we might as well drink stuff and troll the crew who still think their amazing rhetorical point is gonna switch everyone to their side of things. bigdrink.gif

So...what about Ghaddafi? He was Mr Evil in the 80's and now he makes nice. Who's to say Saddam left in peace wouldn't pull the same turn around? Maybe if we sent him a bunch of Mormon chicks from Utah he'd convert!

Well, I sure do hope I stirred the shit tonight. My how I love to do just that.

Some of you sound like you need a wake up call (or a history lesson). Get to "informing" yourselves and quit listening to your dumb friends when they say, "no war for oil". There's a legitimate reason why we're at war right now .. and that's to protect you and your loved ones from an immense, imminent threat. You may never know this threat thanks to your armed forces who are risking their necks to protect you whiners.

LONG LIVE THE SPRAY FORUM FOR TIMES LIKE THESE!

AlpineK said:

trask said:

Catturd -

It's not wrong Kurt. Hell, the soldiers are all jacked up for this thing too. It's like the SuperBowl. Latest stats: over 20% republican guard defection rate. We're into Iraq on the south, west and northern borders. The whole regime is close to collapsing. Saddam is considered to be seriously wounded or dead. The big bombing in Baghdad may NOT be needed. Projections: War's over by Monday. Everybody down with a big party in Baghdad.

AlpineK said:

tomcat said:

AlpineK said:

tomcat said:

What about me?

ME ME ME!

Round 7!

boxing_smiley.gif

Yeah what about you? cry.gif

Just like a liberal, no facts just talk. YAP YAP YAP.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Dude take a pill. You've missed my point.

Pill taken .. what was the point?

tomcat said:

AlpineK said:

tomcat said:

AlpineK said:

tomcat said:

What about me?

ME ME ME!

Round 7!

boxing_smiley.gif

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Notice I'm doing the quote thing to piss off catbirdseat. moon.gif

tomcat said:

tomcat said:

AlpineK said:

tomcat said:

AlpineK said:

tomcat said:

What about me?

ME ME ME!

Round 7!

boxing_smiley.gif

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Notice I'm doing the quote thing to piss off catbirdseat. moon.gif

I'm talking about your need for attention this evening. wave.gif

Dru said:

If the fact that the victory is easily won justifies the invasion why not go after Nepal next. How dare those bastards take almost a monopoly on 8000m peaks and not give the US any? Huh?

Dude, you are so dense! The next country on our snit list is FRANCE! How DARE they disagree with us...never mind that without their help we'd still be eating boiled food and drinking warm beer! shocked.gif

catbirdseat said:

Trask, I sure hope you are right and the war is over quickly. That would be the best thing that could happen. It would minimize the damage to our relations with Europe and the Muslim world.

Don't worry dude, the middle eastern countries and the europeans will be kissing our asses for decades to come. The United States has just shown the world that we will not take shit from anyone. Especially some pint of piss like saddam. We are the SHIZ hooyah!!!

allison said:

Dru said:

If the fact that the victory is easily won justifies the invasion why not go after Nepal next. How dare those bastards take almost a monopoly on 8000m peaks and not give the US any? Huh?

Dude, you are so dense! The next country on our snit list is FRANCE! How DARE they disagree with us...never mind that without their help we'd still be eating boiled food and drinking warm beer! shocked.gif

It's over for the french. They've embarrassed themselves beyond words. What fucking tools. They don't amount to anything anymore.

catbirdseat said:

Trask, I wish I could share your enthusiasm for war. Somehow, I can't. War is like going to court. You never know how it's going to turn out. Better to settle out of court.

you sound like a goddamn attorney

btw, I'm not enthralled with war. it's necessary some times.

Sorry, got distracted.

tomcat said:

But HOW is oil a reason behind the war? What circumstances lead you to believe we are going after Iraq's oil? Was it the statement by the US that all riches seized in this conflict will be returned to the Iraqi people? I could see how that could be confusing .. how about the fact that we didn't take their oil in the 1991 Gulf War? Yeah, all signs point to oil.

Let's simply assume, and not argue, that the US is not after oil in Iraq. True or not, it is beside the point for now. That doesn't preclude oil from being a reason behind the war.

Oil is the only notable natural resource in the middle east. It's therefore a main reason for western involvement in the politics of the region, especially since the Cold War concluded.

Without oil money some of the more or less feudal governments in Arabic nations could not hold onto power, possibly including Hussein's. Oil money also supports the fundis and by that token, oil in some ways could be construed to be a reason behind 9-11. Beyond that, without the oil interest the fundis objection to western presence in Islamic countries would be pointed at Israel only.

What led Hussein to invade Kuwait? It was likely oil, and even more so improved access to the Gulf - for shipping oil. Without the Kuwait invasion, would there be an Iraq war?

Western civilization is heavily dependent on oil for transportation and other things. Would pulling out of the middle east be an option? What if there were no oil there? Would there be any reason to be there in the first place?

How is oil NOT a reason behind the war?

Actually, there are more things that are easy to pick apart than just the connection between your first and second sentence. "Taking" an oil field in 1991 is somewhat of a perplexing notion, you can't just load these things onto a tanker and ship out. Instead you have to take political control of the region containing the oil fields, which Bush senior apparently deemed too costly considering the possible military opposition, international fallout etc. Of course, retaining control of oil fields while returning the profits of oil sales to the population is not that complicated, since whoever is in control gets to decide how much is profit and how much is cost.