NEWS FLASH!!

Necronomicon

Wopper said:

Catbird Seat - Do you or have you spent a lot of time in the construction industry? If so you would surely know in the overall picture there are very few construction companies that have the resources, i.e. manpower, contacts, money, expertise, legal advice, equipment etc., to perform work in foreign countries. Do you think you just load all your tools in the back of your Ford and go to foreign nations to rebuild them?

No, I don't think there are that many companies that can do the job, but I know it is more than just five. Surely there must be large foreign companies that are up to the task. Fluor Corporation which took over for Westinghouse on the Hanford cleanup has spent billions of Federal dollars with very little to show for it. Since rebuilding will be done using our tax dollars, I care about how efficiently these dollars are spent.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nobody will probably believe this either:

03/21 3:43P (DJ)+DJ Commander Of Iraqi 51st Division, Deputy Surrender-NYT

Story 6079 DJ Iraq 51st Division/Surrender -2: Unit Regular Army

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--The commander of Iraq's 51st division and his top

deputy surrendered to U.S. Marine forces Friday, The New York Times reports on

its Web site, citing U.S. military officials.

According to the report, it was the first time that the commander of an

Iraqi division has surrendered to allied forces in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The 51st is a regular army unit that was deployed in southern Iraq directly in

the path of the U.S.-led invasion.

U.S. forces made a determined effort to persuade the 51st division to

surrender, including leaflets and propaganda broadcasts. The leaflets

instructed Iraqi forces that didn't want to fight to park their tanks in a

square formation and walk at least half a mile from their tanks, the report

said.

The paper cited U.S. officials as saying that many of the soldiers of the

51st had simply left their posts and that the division melted away.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

03-21-03 1557ET

wave.gif

This war is estimated to cost about $100 billion before it is over, not counting the cost of rebuilding Iraq. Assuming about 100 million taxpaying Americans, the average cost per taxpayer would be about $1000 to wage this war.It's easy to sit behind your computer screen and spray about sending in the Marines, but let me put it this way, if you alone could launch the war by laying out $1000, how many of of you would open your wallets?"

Would you pay $1000 for the war if you had a choice?I'm in. Where's my checkbook?No way. I'd rather spend my money on climbing gear.

mattp said:

I'm sorry you're giving up, Tom. How about if I admit that I understand the idea that we are going to have to take him out sooner or later and we might as well get it over with now?

In my view, Bush et al should have stuck with that one simple idea, and they might have persuaded more of our regular allies to go along with them. Had they not spewed blatant rhetorical lies and had they not been so arrogant about stating that we do not need Europe or the U.N., they could have forged a true coalition as Bush Sr. did. If we were invading Iraq with U.N. backing, I still wouldn't like it but I'd feel very differently about the whole matter. Would you agree with this, or are you one of those guys who think the U.N. is just a tool of those who want to take our freedom away?

It's dang hard being a one man Army . yellaf.gif

I'm glad we agree we need to take him out. I believe many Iraqis feel this same way. I just saw on the news several Iraqi citizens (along with several US Marines), cutting up a giant picture of Saddam with a boxcutter. They certainly don't seem like they're protesting the conflict. It's a shame we have so many people in our own country who do.

tomcat said:

mattp said:

I'm sorry you're giving up, Tom. How about if I admit that I understand the idea that we are going to have to take him out sooner or later and we might as well get it over with now?

In my view, Bush et al should have stuck with that one simple idea, and they might have persuaded more of our regular allies to go along with them. Had they not spewed blatant rhetorical lies and had they not been so arrogant about stating that we do not need Europe or the U.N., they could have forged a true coalition as Bush Sr. did. If we were invading Iraq with U.N. backing, I still wouldn't like it but I'd feel very differently about the whole matter. Would you agree with this, or are you one of those guys who think the U.N. is just a tool of those who want to take our freedom away?

I'm glad we agree we need to take him out. I believe many Iraqis feel this same way. I just saw on the news several Iraqi citizens (along with several US Marines), cutting up a giant picture of Saddam with a boxcutter. They certainly don't seem like they're protesting the conflict. It's a shame we have so many people in our own country who do.

It's a shame that you aledge to have served to protect the freedom of Americans, and then slam your fellow citizens when they attempt to exercise those freedoms. Seems kind of dipshit to me...

Necronomicon said:

tomcat said:

mattp said:

It's a shame that you aledge to have served to protect the freedom of Americans, and then slam your fellow citizens when they attempt to exercise those freedoms. Seems kind of dipshit to me...

The only dipshit around here is you .. you bring up a discussion about war, I oppose your beliefs and bring up several facts, you don't dispute them with any kind of logical argument (go ahead, read back through this thread and bring up one intelligent argument on your behalf), but instead call me names. You're either blind or dumb. I pick the latter.

tomcat said:

Necronomicon said:

tomcat said:

mattp said:

The only dipshit around here is you .. you bring up a discussion about war, I oppose your beliefs and bring up several facts, you don't dispute them with any kind of logical argument (go ahead, read back through this thread and bring up one intelligent argument on your behalf), but instead call me names. You're either blind or dumb. I pick the latter.

I can speak quite well, so I'm not "dumb", and you are too easliy baited, to quick to anger young Jedi. I did not "call you names", I merely suggested that your logic was "dipshit". Dipshit, in this sense, is an adjective, applied to characterize a noun, in this case, your "logic".

Additionally, you asked earlier if I'm "educated". I did go to high school, if that matters at all.

War is bad, m'kay?

Tomcat,

I do not need to argue my point to you, as I stated previously. I do not need facts. I am propagandizing. I'm trying to get people to feel a certain way. In your particular case, I want you to feel angry, and reveal your anger, thereby revealing your weakness. You're angry right now because I'm not countering your points lucidly. I'm not even addressing your points, because I really don't care what they are.

Sorry to mislead you, Tom. I did not mean to imply that I think we need to take him out. I said I could understand the argument, not that I agree with it. I was trying to contrast an argument that I can understand (a fear that he is a bad guy so that, if he doesn't threaten us now he certainly will in the future) with one that is based on what is clearly mistruth, exaggeration, or unsubstantiated guesses (he threatens our home security right now and is right now arming terrorists).

tomcat said:

Necronomicon said:

War is bad, m'kay?

There's the big fallacy. Again (as stated before in this very thread) ... the US was not born from peace. The American way of life, in a large part, comes from wars fought in the past.

Justifying the wrongs of the present with the wrongs of the past? What type of phallacy is this?

Necronomicon said:

tomcat said:

Necronomicon said:

War is bad, m'kay?

There's the big fallacy. Again (as stated before in this very thread) ... the US was not born from peace. The American way of life, in a large part, comes from wars fought in the past.

Justifying the wrongs of the present with the wrongs of the past? What type of phallacy is this?

It's fallacy chief.

catbirdseat said:

This war is estimated to cost about $100 billion before it is over, not counting the cost of rebuilding Iraq. Assuming about 100 million taxpaying Americans, the average cost per taxpayer would be about $1000 to wage this war.

It's easy to sit behind your computer screen and spray about sending in the Marines, but let me put it this way, if you alone could launch the war by laying out $1000, how many of of you would open your wallets?"

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1048281227catbirdseat">

<p>Would you pay $1000 for the war if you had a choice?

<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />I'm in. Where's my checkbook?

<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />No way. I'd rather spend my money on climbing gear.

<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Catturd you're pathetic. I dook on you from great height. thumbs_down.gif

tomcat said:

Well then, license enough for me! Cry havoc! and let loose the dogs of war!

Necronomicon said:

The expansion of the the colonial population of the US into the american west was accomplished with an associatied genocide of native americans. Therefore, genocide is an acceptable practice, because it is part of how this great nation was built.

Whoa .. Earth to Necronomicon. Hey bud, we're down here. yellaf.gif

Civilians in Japan were fire-bombed during the final stages of World War Two. At the time, the strategy was rationalized as acceptable, yet is considered by many today to have been a crime. What is happening today, with our strategy in Iraq, that will be looked upon in the future as a crime? I wonder...