Black Diamond Raven Pro

Bill_Simpkins

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine has one and this one time she needed to get some purchase on a icy section but there wasn't enough head weight for the pick bite into the ice when she swung even when she swung very hard. I tired it out and had to swing really hard to make it stick. I imagine that chopping steps would be equally difficult. It is very light weight and feels nice in the hands, but realize it's limitations.

LITE WEIGHT AXES ARE JUST THAT...NOT REALLY INTENDED FOR HARDCORE USE...UNLESS HARDCORE IS LIKE 8000M....

I HAVE THE NEPAL SUPER LITE SOMETHING OR OTHER FROM GRIVEL...BUT I ALSO GOT AN OLD BD AXE...FOR WHEN I AM ACTUALLY EXPECTING TO USE IT...

Attitude said:

Dustin_B said:

I love it. As Trask says it feels nice in the hand. It is still relatively light too. I probably have a size to long though.

Wait, what are you talking about? wazzup.gif

Oh, yeah, that sounds kind of bad eh? Just for the record I was referring to the regular raven hahaha.gif

I've used the standard Raven since last July, and it's great. I have a 75 cm, which is great for general mountaineering, but a little awkward when trying to swing it over my head. It's light, but not too light, and I had no problem getting purchase on Leuthold a few weeks back. It's also a lot more comfortable in the hand than any other axes I've tried. Even after I get a really light Al axe (Cassin Ghost?), I'll still use the Raven for the majority of my climbing. I really don't think I'd want to get a Raven Pro, simply because I feel that going lighter would be detrimental to the performance of a general mountain axe. If you want a strictly lightweight axe, there are much lighter options out there. I'd highly recommend the standard Raven.

One year ago I was shopping for a lighter axe, and I chose the Grivel Air Tech (not racing). Compared with the standard Raven it is stronger, sufficient to be rated for use as an anchor rather than just as for personal self-arrest. Ratings for this "strength" factor are extremely hard to find, but I figured that for a couple of ounces, the strength factor was important. And then there is the obvious fact that an ultralight axe does not really have the head weight for efficient ice work.