Obnoxious Climbing Roomies... Please help!

adventuregal

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, she can't find enough self-absorbed, narcissistic shoegazers at the dance clubs, bars, or health club?

Yeah, I say hook her up with some dirtbag boulderer who's been living in the back of his 1988 Toyota Tercel with 250,000 miles on it for the last several months at 'The Pit' in Bishop. Or some sportclimber with a mangy dog who is completely focussed on spraying beta and pantomiming the moves for his next project and really only needs a belayer who can fog a mirror, although he'll hammer her with a string of invectives for either short-roping him or giving him too much slack (a fine line). Or a trad climber, living in his tent (or with his folks), dumpster diving for bottles for recyling deposits, and reeking of MD20/02, who's idea of a good meal are some perfectly good rolls someone left at the next table over. Or an alpine dude, who won't be around anyway because he's either bagging some peak every weekend, or setting up for his trip to Patagonia and who doesn't wash his polypro as a matter of pride.

You know, I think we climbers of differing styles and ethics have finally found something in our sport that we can all share.

Where's the warm fuzzy graemlin?

and she's hot then you're both welcome to take up climbing.

If either you or your room mate are not hot than that person should be banned from climbing.

For those of you who are hot and do take up climbing one of the rules is to fawn over old fat guys struggling up moderate climbs because while we may not climb as hard as those crash pad punks we do it with more style.

Just remember all those cute young guys are just male bimbos. It's us older guys you wanna go for.

Dru said:

AlpineK said:

iain said:

AlpineK's been watching the Real World again... hahaha.gif

did someone say real world las vegas cantfocus.gifcantfocus.gif

Las Vegas Rules!!!!!

fruit.giffruit.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifbigdrink.gif

so did you hear like that Trishelle and Steven are still together except not really together even though he got jealous when she kissed Frank and for a while she was worried she was pregnant. And Irulan dumped that guy Gabe whose picture was by her bed and got together with Alton whose is SO totally over his ex-girlfriend. And Alton got ARRESTED for punching out a photographer at a charity benefit! and Brynn (the bisexual hot-tub psycho) is getting married to some other dude who isn't on the show yellowsleep.gif

adventuregal said:

My objection is that she is doing this solely for the men. She doesn't particularly enjoy physical exertion, the outdoors or challenging herself. She pays no attention whatsoever to anything an instructor or I try to tell her... It's annoying as well as dangerous. She tries a route once, gets a few moves up, then wants to come down. I would be happy to help her out (I am a recent newbie as well, so I wouldn't do much teaching.) if she actually wanted to CLIMB. But all she wants to do is check out the hot guys. It's embarrassing for me, not to mention the fact that I don't feel safe climbing with her. Argh. madgo_ron.gif

i am going to be realistic here, as a male who is always on the hunt and as a climber. i would say after the 1st or 2nd lay, and a day or two at the crags, they will see through this petty little attempt at getting noticed and they will drop her.

i like teaching people to climb, but i refuse to teach someone who is unwilling to try. if they do not have sincere intentions then it will fail.

let her run her course and when climbing with her, never lose control of the situation. and grind into her pretty little head, that people will die or being seriously injured if she does not give 100% all the time. there is no time off in climbing. it is a full time acitivity.

Tell her you're a lesbian and that Sappho came to you in a dream and told you that she (your friend) was going to be your new life partner. Hopefully that will freak her out. Although, she might be into that, then you're in trouble. You are probably better off following Erik's advice.

Put her on Quetico Crack or Danger High Voltage during a storm at Palisade Head. wave.gifcry.gifwave.gif

Seriously, sounds like maybe youre a student up there. UofM Duluth has a GREAT outdoor program. Maybe bring some info back for her. VE also has a number of classes/clinics. I agree with erik...if she doesnt give 100% and REALLY want to climb...to climb...then is it worth it? Its your safety, your life involved. Be upfront and honest.

Good to see another folk from Minnesnowta around! bigdrink.gif

btw...how is someone living in Duluth NOT involved in the outdoors some way or another?!?!?! confused.gif

so did you hear like that Trishelle and Steven are still together except not really together even though he got jealous when she kissed Frank and for a while she was worried she was pregnant. And Irulan dumped that guy Gabe whose picture was by her bed and got together with Alton whose is SO totally over his ex-girlfriend. And Alton got ARRESTED for punching out a photographer at a charity benefit! and Brynn (the bisexual hot-tub psycho) is getting married to some other dude who isn't on the show

wow...took me until the very last word to realize that you weren't talking about my climbing buddies. yelrotflmao.gif

just send your roommate to work at rei or feathered friends or something like that. the first "hot climbing guy" who comes in after a week long trip and pulls his money out of his sock will cure her for good.

carolyn said: Seriously, sounds like maybe youre a student up there. UofM Duluth has a GREAT outdoor program.

Yup. I'm in MN for the time being. I will be heading to Oregon in a few months though! I've been trying to get her to take a class at VE, but no such luck yet. I'll keep trying.

carolyn said:

btw...how is someone living in Duluth NOT involved in the outdoors some way or another?!?!?! confused.gif

Yes... most people are involved in the outdoors. How did I end up with the one person in town who isn't? And who is obnoxious and boy crazy to boot?! confused.gif

seriously, let her tag along for a while.

like erik said make sure the situation is controlled at all times.

One of my roommates in college developed a crush on one of my climbing partners so she decided she simply must learn to climb. What a nightmare. Prior to this her sole athletic endeavor was waxing her old mustang.

She stuck w/it just long enough to spend a night w/my climbing partner. Being true to form, that's all there was.

He didn't call, she was bummed. It quickly put an end to her climbing before anyone got hurt.

Let her find some guy at the crags, that'll cure her wink.giftongue.gifbigdrink.gif

I had no interest or experiance in the outdoors before I discoverd climbing. Although A WOMAN taught me to climb, and it was so not about meeting men. I guess it could be possible that she wants to make a change in her life for the better. If not, she will cure herself. Climbing is a an activity that takes alot of work and dedication, most especaily for those of us not athleticly inclined. It is sort of a life style, and has to be a priority if you are serious about it. Let the situation play it's self out. I taught my sister in law to climb, and it only last 3 months. YOU HAVE TO REALY WANT TO CLIMB, to climb. If she isn't over it by early spring, take her crack climbing. It takes a specail woman to WANT that kind of pain and blood and scaring wink.gif

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

I had no interest or experiance in the outdoors before I discoverd climbing. Although A WOMAN taught me to climb, and it was so not about meeting men. ..... It takes a specail woman to WANT that kind of pain and blood and scaring wink.gif

Muffy, we're all SO appreciative that you are so forthcoming with all the special things you've learned from women. ooo.gif SURE....rub it in....rub it in....we're all jealous! yelrotflmao.gif

UPDATE:

She went to the gym (Yes GYM. No real rock in MN at the moment...) to climb by herself today... I guess one of the employees bitched her out pretty good because she wasn't belaying properly. I think it shook her up. Hopefully it either knocked some sense into her or made her rethink her new found enthusiasm?! confused.gif

adventuregal said:

UPDATE:

She went to the gym (Yes GYM. No real rock in MN at the moment...) to climb by herself today... I guess one of the employees bitched her out pretty good because she wasn't belaying properly. I think it shook her up. Hopefully it either knocked some sense into her or made her rethink her new found enthusiasm?! confused.gif

i hate to be the stick in the mud. ok maybe i don't. but maybe just maybe she'll actually learn something including an enjoyment of the sport. it's entirely possible she'll quickly learn that climber guys are lousy dates wink.gif and climb b/c it's fun? maybe instead of discouraging her if you continue to help you might find a new climbing partner. Unless you just don't like her. In that case, you have many options for her destruction evils3d.gif

minx said:

adventuregal said:

UPDATE:

i hate to be the stick in the mud. ok maybe i don't. but maybe just maybe she'll actually learn something including an enjoyment of the sport. it's entirely possible she'll quickly learn that climber guys are lousy dates wink.gif and climb b/c it's fun? maybe instead of discouraging her if you continue to help you might find a new climbing partner. Unless you just don't like her. In that case, you have many options for her destruction evils3d.gif

same reason climber chicks make lousy dates smirk.gif