How can I filter people who post?

B.S.'er

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This site has the potential to be a great resource of route information, but only if that information is posted publically so that it can be archived. People who only drop by to look up beta do not add to this resource in any way. In my opinion they have not earned the right to direct the structure of this site because they have made no positive contribution. Even something as simple as asking directly and publically for the information you want is a positive contribution because the responses will then be archived.

If this website, a 'shared online community' doesn't meet your wants, AND you are unwilling for whatever reason to do your part to help make it more useful, then in my opinion you should just walk away because it is not for you.

Actually, I don't find the archives to be a great source of route information. There is too much volume, too much spray everywhere (not just in the spray section), and since there is no knowing what has been the subject of a useful discussion and what has been subjected to a sprayfest you can't really count on finding the guidebook type of beta in the archives. But hey, the guidebooks are for sale at the bookstore and they don't cost much.

However, the site is often an awesome source of information about current conditions because there is a critical mass of people that go out and sample, and report their findings here. Archives of current conditions are probably of historical interest at best.

Furthermore, a good way for outsiders to use this site is to watch out for the bursts of ascents that occur every now and then - if 10, 20 people spray about climbing Triple Couloirs, or Eldo NW Couloir, or Chair NF, or Stuart N Ridge, then you can probably expect the route to be in passable condition and grab your chance to go for it without having to put much thought into subleties - and it doesn't matter whether all the posts were mostly gremlins. If on the other hand there is lots of spray about a route but no repeats then you better stay the hell off unless you know what you're doing. I'm not headed for Johannesburg in the middle of a winter storm cycle myself, thank you very much, but it was entertaining to read about.

Finally, when all the stars are properly aligned some of the usual suspects exchanging jokes and banter all day long can be an incredible source of beta, including details such as what particular pieces to bring that are seldom included in the guidebook descriptions. It starts with spray and is all about PMs and phonecalls from there. If you feel excluded then show up at the pub a few times, hook up with some people and go climbing, and you'll soon have figured out that reading the posts only gets you a lousy facsimile of the board.

To wrap up, filter the spray out and all you'll have accomplished is not knowing sarcasm from honesty anymore; expect beta for nothing (not even jokes) in return, and all you'll get is probably scorn.

got the photo gallery working btw.

good points being brought up.

I added on the content managemetn part of the site (mambo, the one that got hacked) in hopes of pulling out the great tr's and beta, and archiving them to that portion of the site.

there is a robust search engine attached to it (that searches the bbs as well), and the tr's can be linked back to the original thread.

moderators, and authors have the option of "publishing" a tr or quality beta to this archive of sorts by clicking on that little folder button underneath a post.

so far the response to this hasn't been excellent, but i'm hoping others will begin to publish certain tr's the post on their own. if not, i will continue to grab the ones i think are tasy and push them out there.

i think the threaded discussion, even with the spray, is what sets this site aside from other tr sites, but I agree that it would be nice to pull them aside and make them easier to find at times.

keep the suggestions coming, and why haven't people used the mambo thing much? cry.gif

why haven't people used the mambo thing much?

Maybe because they feel embarrassed about mambo'ing their own post, especially with all the negative spew being slung around here about "chestbeating". Why not make it so anybody can mambo any post?

cry.gif As long as we're all whining...... I'd like to see a bit more structure to the beta contained in CC.com. The fact that people are constantly tuned into this site posting their knowledge is GREAT. Users get good, reliable, and most importantly RECENT information about routes and climbing issues.

However, you have to wade through tons of random shit just to get the info you're seeking. If I want to know how the 'shrund on Hood is looking, I have to scroll through pages of quotes and pictures in dozens of threads.

Don't get me wrong, I think the forum is great. It just makes it hard to find the info I'm looking for.

...but then again, what do I know. I've only got 15 posts.

Thats what I thought too BS, having visited polite, politically correct sites (like the infamous tele tips.com). But after a while those sites get a bit boring, like a company staff party. No one is willing to express any strong opinions there. Picture this site as if you were sitting around a wood stove in a winter ski hut bsing with your friends and newcombers, as our wool socks and polypew underwear fumes waift through the smokey air. Only it smells better. thumbs_up.gif

I always feel like I'm on eggshells at t-tips.com!

Lots of good info, but lots of bs to wade through there too. Just a different kind.

Something like bivouac.com on the other hand is a great resource. Very dry, but to the point.

Maybe cc should strive to have a split personality. Build a resource like bivouac, and allow NO spray at all, and keep the forums much as they are.

If I wanted to know what is up in the PNW, I would come here. IF I wanted to know what was up in BC I would go to Bivouac. If I wanted to know that Rainey makes the best bindings, and the rest suck wink.gif I would go to ttips. Together they form a great resource.

Timmy, I know that you are trying to create a more content based resource as well, but somehow it doesn't seem to be catching on. I think it needs more promotion. Check out the "What's New" page at bivouac. Something like that in the sidebar could catch peoples eye?

It will also need a critical mass in my opinion to get people to browse it as much as they do the forums.

I have things to add to it, I've just been lazy. Certainly not too busy! How many others are out there that have something to add?