Its Snowing At the Passes!

Alex

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up on Mount Adams all day yesterday, messing aroung at 6,000 feet or so in three feet of beautiful fluffy light powder snow, fantastic to see such good quality snow so early in the year... Hart's Pass and Slate Peak offer good quality lower angle runs up to about 1,000 feet on some good smooth heather slopes, great place to put in some early season turns, if you can still drive to the Pass.

Went to Washington Pass yesterday. The skiing was fantastic - the sun came out, the snow was deep and dry, we had the whole place to ourselves, the larch trees still had most of their leaves. Did I mention the snow? It was deep and dry. October 25th, WOW!

Not the absolute lightest stuff though, and trail-breaking was ridiculously hard. I'm sure by the weekend, a skin track will be established though. It did not seem to be wind affected at all, just soft stuff all the way down. Lots of snow slough avalanches when the sun hit the cliffs.

There was about 2.5 feet of snow by the road at the pass, and about 4 feet up in the basin below the Liberty Bell group. By afternoon, it had warmed up enough that the snow down by the road was wet.

Phil you dog! [Wazzup]

A friend talked me out of going up there, "the coverage sounds really thin" and I went to Muir instead on Sunday. While the weather Sunday was stellar, the snow was only good above 9000. The rest of the way down was breakable crust and soft wierd stuff with more breakable. I think it rained up there Fri/Sat, and then froze Sat night...

Alex

Phil that sounds really sweet. Feels like winter out there for sure. Alex sorry I missed you, but there were so may folks out there who could have known?

Skied Panorama Point on Friday in heavy crud, but there is snow all the way to Parking lot and beyond. Wind was blowing from about 5800 feet onwards and gusting up to 70MPH as low down as 7000. Above 8500 was a sustained ground blizzard. ROWDY!

Sunday skinned to Muir with the masses. Conditions were variable, transitioning from 'dust on frozen crust' to 'trap crust' to 'ice and sastrugi' and then in reverse on the way down. Top 2000 were great and then the 2000+ft of trap crust gradually made me wish for a trash bag to slide the rest of the way down on. Weather was good, but a nice cloud layer was coming in on our way out.

Mike

P.S. Did anyone check out the Honda nosedived over the snowbank at the first icy curve. YowZa! shocked.gif" border="0

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: mikeadam ]

We skiied the shady slopes of Mazama Ridge and got great, short 35 degree runs in NICE FLUFFY Powder- hella fine for October- When that Honda when over the bank there I bet the driver just about shat 'is pants!

It sure was blindingly nice weather yesterday,eh?

skied green mountain off suiattle road saturday. we dug a pit near the top (~6500) and hadn't hit bottom at 7 feet (well consolidated). skiing sucked because it was 2 inches off fresh on top off breakable crust. lower down we skied 5 inches of fresh/slush on top of grass and shrubbery, which was actually a lot of fun.