• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story-

Searchers locate missing hikers

02/27/2003

From KING 5 Staff Reports

GRANITE FALLS, Wash. - A search and rescue team, searching the the Big Four area for two hikers missing since Wednesday, located them at the 4500-foot level just before 6 p.m. Thursday.

Families of the two men said they failed to return Wednesday from a hike in the Big Four area - about 30 miles east of Granite Falls - and they were not prepared to stay out overnight.

The pair are believed to be between these two peaks, about 5,600 feet up.

On Thursday morning, 10 rescue climbers started searching for the men in an area where a helicopter saw lights and footprints in the snow.

Searchers expected to take 8 to 10 hours to get to the area, as the terrain is steep, with hard snow. There's also the threat of avalanches in the area.

Police said the two men are in their 20s and one is a very experienced climber, while the other is in good physical shape. But searchers did not know how well either of them could handle these types of conditions.

The hikers were apparently unaware a search team was looking for them. They were not injured and in good condition.

Hi all,

Mike and I are doing fine after a bit of an epic on Big 4. Sorry to worry everyone and many thanks to all those who participated or were prepared to take charge of their own rescue. Mike and I certainly feel very lucky to have so many friends and acquaintances who would make such an effort for us. Fortunately we were able to backtrack our totally buggered descent route back to the proper descent and reach the car under our own power. Beta: The Spindrift Couloir is in great shape right now and for a brief period one may be able to make use of a convienient summit-cornice-burough that I left behind. This was one of the main factors contributing to our late afternoon top-out (but also part of the "Scottish" attraction of the route). It took a while to dig thru that sucker. I'm sure Mike will have more to add. Thanks again to everyone, especially all the guys at AAI. Matt Anderson. bigdrink.gif

No, unfortunatly no mountain honeys to cozie up with. Glad to report that Layton will still be enjoying the performance benefits of two feet. In respect to SAR (whose efforts are very much appreciated), we found their group at the base of the lower headwall not the other way around. The heweys spotted us right before we made our final arborial raps to the nice flat base. fruit.gif

whats the word on the 95 degree mixed climbing reported by the "claimed FA"* team and subsequently not by the repeat climbers since then. Has it appeared again or is it still banished to the Phantom Zone?.

* Mr Nat and Bart - since I believe I read earlier that their claim of FA is disputed by a prior party... maybe we can get some boxing_smiley.gif again smirk.gif

Dru said:

whats the word on the 95 degree mixed climbing reported by the "claimed FA"* team and subsequently not by the repeat climbers since then. Has it appeared again or is it still banished to the Phantom Zone?.

* Mr Nat and Bart - since I believe I read earlier that their claim of FA is disputed by a prior party... maybe we can get some boxing_smiley.gif again smirk.gif

sounds like he is in agreement w/bart in terms of rating moon.gif

Dru said:

Attitude said:

Who called for the rescue?

i heard it was Necro!!! yellaf.gif

Quite true. Late wednesday night, Mike's girlfriend and I decided they were overdue, and notified Snohomish county 911. I spoke with SAR a number of times early thursday morning, and throughout the day, until last night, when they notified us that all was well.

I have mixed feelings about my actions, given the fact that everything turned out okay and a resuce was ultimately not required. Having said that, if Mike and Matt were in harms way, I wanted their situation to be known before first light, in order to maximize the amount of time spent searching, and also to beat the weather system that was moving in.

And let me tell you, when hour 38 rolled around and there was still no sign of them, a lot of people, myself included, were very concerned.

Please feel free to rail on me as a coddling mother, and as having blown all of this out of proportion for nothing, but my boys were up there, and I wanted them to come back.

-J

ps Mike figured the climb, all told, cost over $100,000. He's probably on the low side...

Mr._Natural said:

Dru said:

sounds like he is in agreement w/bart in terms of rating moon.gif

its all wi3 until you fall off yellaf.gif

danielpatricksmith said:

What I would like to know is why the news reports use 'hiker' and 'climber' interchangably.

Check out my response on the "getting lost & found" thread for an answer to this query.

(I'd post the link here but I don't know how)

Dear Necro,

Re: Please feel free to rail on me as a coddling mother, and as having blown all of this out of proportion for nothing, but my boys were up there, and I wanted them to come back.

-J

You're a good friend. Thanks for everything. I don't question one iota of your decision process. I look forward to tossing one back with you later tonight. bigdrink.gif