Painful Viewing

ScottP

Invincible, I am not. I have had my share of close calls. My training is on-going as it should be for anyone who climbs recreationally or professionally. A hero I don’t want to be. But if I am in close proximity to an accident I have what is called a “Duty to respond” as should all climbers. I have had trips altered due to climber accidents on a few occasions and more often than not it is from operator error. This thread has digressed.

As for the heli ride, that is one I have yet to try but I gotta admit video clip aside it looks like a hoot.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dirtwigle said:

Fairweather said:

I've seen this video before in its entirety. The portion shown here is only about one-fourth of the total fall. It gets worse.

We're all so sure it "won't happen to me". But it does...and it might. I think of this video occasionally when climbing. It enhances my vigilance.

The point I was driving at. Thank you.

And mine as well.

Nice how whoever created that homage to the damaging misuse of tire irons bracketed the two chubby thugs with their toothpick-like counterparts, arranged in an arc of aggression stemming from the wicked white-trash witch of outer southeast Portland and revolving around -- nay, closing in on -- poor sweet Nancy K. Oh, the horror! shocked.gif

So is anybody here sure that they survived, or is that perhaps a little story made up so people can watch the carnage over and over without feeling bad about themselves.

It always amazes me how people read or hear about some grizzly climbing/car/robbery/whatever accident, but when it comes out that the victim did not die (but suffered only compound fractures and ruptured spleen), then it's OK, nothing to see here people. Go back about your business.

chucK asked:

So is anybody here sure that they survived, or is that perhaps a little story made up so people can watch the carnage over and over without feeling bad about themselves.

(snip)

I first saw this clip link posted on rec.climbing quite a while ago (3 years?). I first heard they survived then. Is it true? I don't know, but with the length of fall and the way they were flopping around, I would have guessed they didn't.

dirtwigle said:

Lambone said:

rolleyes.gif

as if a gumby is anymore likely to take the big plunge than you are....get over yourself.

My point was simply to emphasize that with my experience you grow accustom to the sight of such an incident. Judging by the reactions posted herein I got the impression that people got freaked out. Look at it objectively. Learn from the example. I was not boasting. The gumby comment is self evident, and get over yourself.

Touchy little gumby, aren’t you.

Lamebone is a fucking putz so don't worry about it. He gets off by acting like he knows it all and has done it all when in fact he acts like a jail house bitch.

ScottP said:

chucK asked:

(snip)

I first saw this clip link posted on rec.climbing quite a while ago (3 years?). I first heard they survived then. Is it true? I don't know, but with the length of fall and the way they were flopping around, I would have guessed they didn't.

the tv anchor says they fell 70 meters, suffered much bone breakage and something else (chopped off the end of the audio clip). It sounds like they survived at least initially shocked.gif