• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
bedellympian

Scottish Ice

7 hours ago, bigeo said:

That's crazy! Riding a motorcycle with no fukking helmet.

And he is riding on the wrong side of the road.

What I want to know is how many different tools he had stashed in his pack.

And but of course time to stop at the pub on the way home.

Edited by ScaredSilly

14 hours ago, bigeo said:

That's crazy! Riding a motorcycle with no fukking helmet.

Or gloves!  I don't know how many of you have ridden a motorcycle any distance in the winter but you'd better have some good gloves or you're going to have some pretty bad screaming barfies.  Maybe it was part of his conditioning program?

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Maybe it was part of his conditioning program?

I seem to remember some Eastern bloc alpinist saying that he trained for winter climbing by taking ice cold showers and making snow balls with bare hands.  He claimed you could train your body to stay warm at all metabolic costs, i.e. not shunt blood from your extremities.

45 minutes ago, JasonG said:

I seem to remember some Eastern bloc alpinist saying that he trained for winter climbing by taking ice cold showers and making snow balls with bare hands.  He claimed you could train your body to stay warm at all metabolic costs, i.e. not shunt blood from your extremities.

Herman Buhl if I recall correctly.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web14s/wfeature-hermann-buhl

I've tried it out, got a lot of funny looks but not sure if it's helped my capillaries hold their ground. At least it's good mental fortitude training :crash:

Edit:

Trying to find the original source for the Buhl snowball method and it reminded me that I'd read it in Twight's Extreme Alpinism. My searching also finds references to Bonatti doing the same. 

Looks like a more dialed in method is to alternate icy and hot water: https://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/19/science/simple-method-found-to-warm-cold-hands.html

Edited by sfuji
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sfuji said:

Herman Buhl

Ah!  Not quite as far east as I remembered.  Thanks!

Oh, and all I could find were some ST references to Buhl carrying snowballs through the streets of Innsbruck.  Quite the dude!

EXTREME ALPINISM!  Yes, of course.  Such a great read.

I was once taken to task by Dr. Doom himself (via IG) for not packing a lighter in every pocket, "as the book says".  I had doomed @Trent and I's "Unsuccessful" Cleaver trip on Rainier due to forgetting a lighter (D'oh!), so we couldn't melt snow high on the mountain.  For Twight, that was just too stupid of a reason to retreat.  He hasn't met me, however - that is just the beginning of my stupidity!

You would have thought he was referring to the Bible, but no, HIS bible.  :lmao:

• LMAO 1

13 hours ago, JasonG said:

You would have thought he was referring to the Bible, but no, HIS bible.  :lmao:

The gospel according to Mark. 

5 hours ago, DPS said:

The gospel according to Mark. 

of course! :lmao: