Carlos Buhler Slide Show

jon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what was posted in the Mazama Bulletin. It doesn't say who benefits from the proceeds.

CARLOS BUHLER SLIDE SHOW

Join Carlos Buhler, one of the world's top alpinists, as he shares stories

and pictures from some of his greatest climbs. His achievements include the

first ascent of the East Face of Everest, North Face of K2, the first

successful American expedition to Kangchejunga, the West Ridge of Cho Oyo,

Dhaulagiri, and the first American ascent of Nanga Parbat, in addition to

many new routes and first ascents in Alaska, Nepal and Peru.

When: 7:30 pm, Thursday, February 13, 2003

Where: Benson High School (546 NE 12th Ave. Portland)

Price: Advance tickets are $6.00 - $8.00 at the door

Tickets are available at the Mazamas, both REI Locations & ClubSport.

Presented by Mazamas, REI and ClubSport

Hmmm, anyways, maybe I should explain why we don't allow this kind of stuff to avoid people getting too bent out of shape. It has nothing to do with REI or Mazamas or any other group, it is just a policy in general and here is why we have to adhere to it. Let's say I let them post keep this posted. Another group will see it and start posting their stuff. And maybe after a while all these cool nonfree slideshows will be posted, which is fine. But then some wiseguy sees this as a great marketing tool and starts posting things like sales or guiding or whatever you can imagine. So I guess what I'm getting at is although things like slide shows are rather benign it sets a precedence for something that I would rather not have to deal with which is people "spamming" our board with advertising that they are not paying for. There have been a few instances where have allowed stuff like UW climbing club stuff and ice climbing clinics from Cascade Crags.

I understand that, and I want people to post slideshows. But I'm trying to have a bit of foresight and here is a potential counter-arguement to a non-profit. What is the difference between a non-profit org putting on a show for $8 versus a shop putting on a show for $8? Either way someone is making money, both spend money on advertising their show, both take the money and use it internally in most situations. If they want to advertise it on this site that is fine but they need to send a few bucks my way.

I understand that, and I want people to post slideshows. But I'm trying to have a bit of foresight and here is a potential counter-arguement to a non-profit. What is the difference between a non-profit org putting on a show for $8 versus a shop putting on a show for $8? Either way someone is making money, both spend money on advertising their show, both take the money and use it internally in most situations. If they want to advertise it on this site that is fine but they need to send a few bucks my way.

I don't really know what the difference is ... I thought you came up with those rules. In reality, though, no individual is profiting off a slide show thrown by a non-profit. With outfitters, gear shops, etc., most of those shows are acutally promotional events for some company. The clubs typically aren't running these events as huge money makers. I think the distinciton still makes sense and the clubs (and Lowell) should be posting slide shows here for the community.

Jon, I'd like to volunteer my off-time services as cc.com treasurer. I was cleared of the racketeering charges and the trumped-up embezzlement deal with US Bank, Bellevue. Brazil was nice, but now I'm back and looking for part time work. Drop me a PM

trask

Trask you can become the treasurer if you come to Pub Club tonight for the board meeting.

Winter, thanks for your input, very reason why I raised the issue because I wanted to hear what people thought. I don't know much about the Mazamas, but to me the Mountaineers are a company, kind of in the same way the REI is a coop but really a company. There are instances that a slide show could be very profitable and lucrative, like the one I'm planning on putting together wink.gif. Anyways I'm putting too much thought in here. Hey if you go to the show tell the Mazamas the cc.com sent you!

Ummmmm, who does this show benefit? There is a long standing rule on this board that any event that is posted must either be free or a benefit for some non profit organization.

Oops. you better delete that info about the VIMFF then!!!! rolleyes.gif

I wasn't aware of the policy, and while it makes sense, the details confound me just a little. As Dru just mentioned, is VIMFF verboten? What about the Icefest, its not free is it? We had a notice up for a bouldering contest too, don't those usually have entry fees? I understand the "no free advertising for someone else's pockets" sentiment completely, but I know I'd be unlikely to find out about any of these things unless they show up here.

Don't know this site all that well yet, but I'm reading old threads and posts like mad trying to figure out what the hell you've got here. But I have to say that you have a laughable policy on slide shows, boys. This whole site is loaded with useless crap, having nothing to do with climbing, and you don't want to allow the announcement of for-profit slide shows for fear of spamming? Are you kidding? Have you lost all perspective?

Does anyone else out there think that there should be some way for "The Pacific Northwest's Climbers' Resource", which allows someone like trask to post endless reams of useless crap, and which now has a "chat" room, to get out the word that one of the premier mountaineers of this country is giving a slide show, regardless of who is sponsoring it? Here's a suggestion. Add a forum called Slide Shows, or Shows, or Events, or whatever. Allow anyone to post any climbing-related event whatsoever, regardless of whether it's free or not, and regardless of whether it benefits the Mazamas, The Republican Party, or Acme Logging. If anyone wants to avoid the spam, they can simply avoid that forum. You know, kinda like you can avoid spray by not going into the Spray forum. [i'd insert some sarcasm graemlin here if I had the time to look for one.] Actually, come to think of it, you don't even need to add a new forum. Since you allow spray absolutely everywhere, and the "Spray" forum obviously means nothing to anybody, just change the name. By the way, I just love the description you have for the Spray forum: "If it's not climbing related this is where you post it." Hah!

Don't know this site all that well yet, but I'm reading old threads and posts like mad trying to figure out what the hell you've got here. But I have to say that you have a laughable policy on slide shows, boys. This whole site is loaded with useless crap, having nothing to do with climbing, and you don't want to allow the announcement of for-profit slide shows for fear of spamming? Are you kidding? Have you lost all perspective?

Does anyone else out there think that there should be some way for "The Pacific Northwest's Climbers' Resource", which allows someone like trask to post endless reams of useless crap, and which now has a "chat" room, to get out the word that one of the premier mountaineers of this country is giving a slide show, regardless of who is sponsoring it? Here's a suggestion. Add a forum called Slide Shows, or Shows, or Events, or whatever. Allow anyone to post any climbing-related event whatsoever, regardless of whether it's free or not, and regardless of whether it benefits the Mazamas, The Republican Party, or Acme Logging. If anyone wants to avoid the spam, they can simply avoid that forum. You know, kinda like you can avoid spray by not going into the Spray forum. [i'd insert some sarcasm graemlin here if I had the time to look for one.] Actually, come to think of it, you don't even need to add a new forum. Since you allow spray absolutely everywhere, and the "Spray" forum obviously means nothing to anybody, just change the name. By the way, I just love the description you have for the Spray forum: "If it's not climbing related this is where you post it." Hah!

whaT DO you want know. i think we can come uipwith whatever secret beta you may need. but who cares aboot that useless crap......BORing.....lets talk about ALL useless crap!

i want TO climb you person...well atleast your name sake.

mushsmile.gif

I wasn't aware of the policy, and while it makes sense, the details confound me just a little. As Dru just mentioned, is VIMFF verboten? What about the Icefest, its not free is it? We had a notice up for a bouldering contest too, don't those usually have entry fees? I understand the "no free advertising for someone else's pockets" sentiment completely, but I know I'd be unlikely to find out about any of these things unless they show up here.

Actually I didn't even read the VIMFF thing. Now I did. Yeah I don't know, like I said I'm all for slide shows but it's like where do you draw the line. I think as long as people ask if it's ok it's fine. The people putting on the bouldering contest and the ice fest contacted us and we said it was fine after trading a few emails.