Adding Gear Loops to a Pack

Paul_K

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arcteryx makes a gear loop which will attach to any harness made of webbing or to a pack with a webbing hipbelt. you can buy them in pairs of 2 at MEC for like $2.50 CDN. i accessorized my Serratus Genie with a pair of these - course i got the loops for free when i worked at arcteryx. laugh.gif

The Lowe Alpine Attack comes with two removable longish loops running from each shoulder strap (at about chest level) to the side of the pack, simulating one of the fancy over the shoulder type things. Seems like an easy custom addition to any pack. I've never used it since all the alpine climbs I've done with a pack needed far short of a full rack, he he.

Well, here be the problem. To tack the loops onto the criminally comfortable Arc'Teryx waist belt, you'll need to sew through ca. 1/2" of foam, which will require an industrial sewing machine. But even if you do have access to such an animal, sewing through the waist belt is going to compress the hell out of the foam where you stitch it, which may do funny things to the fit of the belt. Perhaps if you tack them on up at the top edge of the hip belt near the seam it wouldn't be too bad, however.

Or, if you don't have access to an industrial machine, you could rig some removable gear loops by either buying the 'teryx ones or making your own out of cord and tubing (use sprinkler tubing, as it's much stiffer than that fish tank stuff), then sewing each end of the cord to a short strap (whatever is long enough to go around the hip belt) with a ladderlock buckle on the end. Then you could just strap the loops on, and you'd be able to move them around a little bit if need be.

wave.gif

Edited by Dr_Flash_Amazing

DFA - Thanks for your every helpful input. I now feel exceedingly guilty for maligning you in an earlier post.

I asked my wife who quilts and has a dohc 325 cu hemi powered sewing machine for her advice. She helpfully suggested “bar tacking them to your love handles, chubbo.” She’s still a tad touchy from hearing of my climbing plans for the summer.

I’ll pursue your idea for removable loops.

DFA - Thanks for your every helpful input. I now feel exceedingly guilty for maligning you in an earlier post.

I asked my wife who quilts and has a dohc 325 cu hemi powered sewing machine for her advice. She helpfully suggested “bar tacking them to your love handles, chubbo.” She’s still a tad touchy from hearing of my climbing plans for the summer.

I’ll pursue your idea for removable loops.

You're certainly welcome. And for your minor slandering of the Doctor, may you be given ten feet of penalty slack on your next pants-crappingly long runout. the_finger.gif

I did this. I took 1" flat black nylon pack strap material and folded it in half (along the length) and sewed it on a regular sewing machine except for the last 1" or so on each end where it remained full width. These "tabs" are the part you sew to the hip belt. I took them to my local shoe repair guy with a beefy sewing machine and he sewed them on for about $5. Sewing through the padded belt wasn't a big deal and did not "overly" compress the area at all. It comes out with a minor indent in the specific area, but doesn't affect the comfort at all. I use the shoe guy for lots of misc stuff for my gear. I like this better than stiffer stuff with fishtube because for the times I want to holster my ice tool(s), it conforms much better and is less likely to fall through, especially my hammer.

I got this idea from REI repair because they did it to another pack of mine about a year ago. They are pretty reasonably priced for stuff like this. Way cheaper than Rainy Pass!

Edited by David_Parker

what I have done is to buy 2 of the smallest slings made (I think they are about 6 inches). then you sew the "flexible" part to the belt leaving the stiffer part where the two ends are sewn together to be the part of the loop that'll hang down. that gives you a little stiffness (like the fish tubbing) to hang your gear. I have used upholstry thread and strong needles for this and many other custom projects on my gear.