Titan Climbers?

texplorer

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a recent thread on supertopo.com regarding gear for the climb. You'll also find a 1st hand report and topo at bigwall.com and some good info at climbingmoab.com. (It's on my list too)

Last fall I spent a little time there as well. Ancients Arts was super fun. I also climbed Kingfisher and found it much more gripping. Rock was muddier and the fixed gear was a total nightmare. Bent angles and bolts you could pull out by hand. I imagine the Titan is similar!

a buddy of mine did sun devil, but i hear stevie haston "freed" it now, so you are no longer allowed to nail hellno3d.gif

i heard he fucked it up when he went for his free attempt. pulled all the fixed gear and put in some new stuff that works for his freed attempt.

I climbed Ancient Art on Fisher Towers last year. Grim dirty thing with a heck of a view. The Titan is worse. Talked to some folks who tried it too soon after a rain and the were able to pluck a bolt outt of the rock (mud). Bring goggles and a scarf to cover your mouth to keep the dust out.

I climbed the Colorado Ridge Route. After Ancient Arts, it's considered the other easy climb in the area. Total of 3.5 pitches, a vast majority is C1 on fixed gear. Well if you actually fell it would probably be C3 as you'd be ripping gear out for sure. The position is incredible though, right along a vertical to slightly overhanging arete until you aid out a good size roof 500' off the deck. I should scan some photos...

Tex

I did the Finger of Fate in the early 80s. I suspect that things have changed a lot. Even if they haven't my memory is about as suspect as the rock. We drove a lot of bongs, had a constant shower of red grit, flinched at the anchor bolts that had an inch of play in them and enjoyed every minute of it. I do have a bunch of slides which might jog the memory. I've heard that the incipient cracks we encountered have grown over the years due to the traffic.

Terry