Frodo didn't make it after all...

glen

Iceguy,

Surely you didn't miss the OBVIOUS deviations from the book plot that GROSSLY altered the message of the book. Come on, Faramir was portrayed as a wanker who took the ring to Gondor - this never happened. What about that prehistoric spider bitch? That would have made great effects. The movie showed Frodo obsessed with the ring and that was not the case - he was burdened by it, that was all. The movie portrayed breakdowns in the key relationships - Tolkien wrote exactly different, the relationships were what kept the original Quest alive.

Okay, LOTR-nerd flame suit on.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

TLG...That's Will...go up to world wall 1 most any day and he'll be there...

And regarding Morgoth...Isn't he the guy that Sauron served in the Silmarillion?? I haven't read them (LOTR and other Tolkien stuff) since high school so i may be wrong...

Edited by RuMR

What about that prehistoric spider bitch? That would have made great effects.

Admittedly, its been more than 25 years since I read the books, but if you're talking about Shelob, doesn't she show up in the 3rd book? I think my temporal distance from reading the book in question preserved my enjoyment of the film. Most folks I know who recently re-read the Two Towers in anticipation of the movie were disappointed. Making a novel into a movie seems like a damned hard prospect to me, there just isn't enough time in a 2 (or even 3) hour movie to fit in the wealth of detail, plot and imagery you'll find in a good book, much less doing that with a book so adored by millions. Anyway, I had a good time, but maybe I'm just easily amused.

Tolkein has Shelob in the end of the 2nd book, and it ends with the reader supposed to think Frodo is dead, for a bit of a cliffhanger.

Jackson is obviously intending to have Shelob in the first part of the 3rd movie, in a bit of directorial re-pacing.

I liked the Movie Ents but I wanted to see Pippin & Merry sitting around drinking Ent draughts and Smoking Pipeweed in the ruins of Orthanc, and I think that is one of the cut scenes!

Just talking about this is reactivating suppressed Geek_em8.gif memories - shit, soon I will be able to recall Dungeons & Dragons trivia like how many Hit Dice a Type VI Demon has or what you should do if confronted by a Giant snaf.gif

I wonder when they are gonna start making Viggo Mortensen Brand "Stubble Shine" for us guys to keep that sexy 4-day beard look permanently... I can tell you it is a lot of work to keep that exact amount of facial hair so nicely groomed

LOL cool.gif

I wonder when they are gonna start making Viggo Mortensen Brand "Stubble Shine" for us guys to keep that sexy 4-day beard look permanently... I can tell you it is a lot of work to keep that exact amount of facial hair so nicely groomed

They'll just take all the extra "Don Johnson Miami Vice" Stubble Shine inventory and re-label it.