Devil's Kitchen TR

MtnHigh

Pat, Rob, Jessica, Drew and I climbed one of the gullies in Devil's Kitchen HW (var 1D Ore High) Sat morning. Our intentions were to climb var 1C, but upon inspection, little ice covered the rock in the lower section of the gulley, so we backed down and opted for gulley 1D just to the right.

Just above Drew and Jessica is the start of 1C in the middle of the HW. The start of 1D is to the right of the HW.

Page01.jpg

We hiked into the Kitchen in thick fog and snow flurries until sunrise, when suddenly the fog lifted along with our spirits.

Page07.jpg

The start of the gulley. Very thin ice covering the rock.

Page11.jpg

Jessica above and Rob in the forefront showing us how it gets gone.

Page15.jpg

Above the gulley at the top of W'East. Drew in the lead with Jessica. Rob taking in the beauty of the mountain.

Page18.jpg

Rob nearing the top of W'East

Page30.jpg

Summit posers

Page34.jpg

Many thanks to Pat, the man with the awesome camera and the presence of mind to put it to good use. And my first climb with Rob, it was a blast.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see. . .Drew was leading the first rope team and I saw him place two pieces, one on the lower pitch, one on the upper pitch.

I was leading the second rope team and I placed. . .lets see if I can remember correctly. . .none. The conditions really didn't warrant protection which was good because there really wasn't much opportunity to solidly protect it anywhere.