Final outcome on vantage investigation?

Charlie

I don't know if anyone else has gone through this. After all of the accidents last season, I've found that my head is all screwed up now. I've lead Air Guitar several times, hung once, but never fell. Now, in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if I had fallen, what would have happened? I heard they were throwing a 200# bag from the top (while testing) and it was destroying all of the gear that was placed- I weigh 220#! I used to think that in the event of a whipper, I may rip a piece, maybe break an ankle, but decking never seemed to be a possibility. I'm all fucked up psychologically now when it comes to leading. Any thoughts?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you hear about the 200lb bag test Charlie? Was the gear "destroyed" or did it just pull out? Was there any indication of why the gear was ripping? Sounds like the rock, not the gear to me.

Sorry for the nagging questions, I am just curious and perplexed as well.

Some friends told me they were at Vantage one day- and saw people doing tests on Air Guitar- throwing a bag full of rocks from the top- I guess (this is all 2nd hand, maybe the testers can add to this) they had placed the same type of gear used during the accident (old style camelots) and they were actualy breaking from the impact.

Climb with someone who takes big whippers on gear. Seeing one of my partners take a big fall on a yellow alien helped me get my confidence back up (and he is a big guy). If the rock is good and the gear is good, trust it and go, or throw in another piece as a back up and then go for it.

Here's my interpretation. The take-home message of the article is that heavy climbers should act to reduce fall factors when they climb. This means placing gear more often, especially early in the pitch. Strange thing though was that when Goren Kropp fell (a big guy), he was near the end of his pitch. The fall factor was low. confused.gif

OK I am a little hesitant to respond...so keep in mind this is what I was told by Erden.

Basically what they BELIEVED happened was that when he fell the biner on the top piece (a wiregate) got wedged into the crack holding the pro. It was wedged perpendicular to the carck (parrallel to the ground). This pinched the biner, opening the gate. When it fully loaded with the leader's weight the gate was open (obviously at the biner's weakest position/point) and it failed. By that time he had a considerable amount of speed and force going and the seconda piece pulled.

Don't quote me. This is what I took from a conversation with Erden at Carlos' slideshow afew weeks ago. I spoke with Erden today and he did not mention anything more about it. We were discussing his around the world epic.

To Erden's adventure bigdrink.gif.

P.S.

What do the stars by our screen names mean?

Edited by Rodchester

Can anyone tell me whether a solid gate traditional biner would be more resistant to breaking at the gate than a wiregate when loaded transversely (i.e. in the short direction)? Wire gates (so I am told) were developed for ice climbing where the gate is less likely to vibrate open with rope whistling through it. Obviously, the gate on a wire gate is less strong for any force direction other than longitudinal where the wire is in tension. I'm wondering if I should leave my wire gates at home when I go crack climbing? tongue.gif

So in the case of Kropp, the biner broke BECAUSE the gate was open, even though it may have loaded along the strong axis. Perhaps the reason why the biner wedged was because Kropp was using quickdraws (as I recall). Maybe a longer sling might have kept the biner out of the crack? Now I have a terrible feeling this territory has been covered before- if so forgive me.