Zipka vs. Tikka

chalkball

I got a gift cert. from Mountain Gear and I want to buy a small around-the-camp and backup LED headlamp. (I have the Duo Arctic for heavier use).

I have used a Tikka a few times and like it, and I have played with a Zipka but am not sure I trust the suspension...has anyone had a Zipka strap break on them?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't ask you to explain why you have 3 headlamps. But I would like to know how you possibly think the lightbulb.gifAurora, and the lightbulb.gifIon are better headlamps than the lightbulb.gifTikka??? confused.gif

I think the lightbulb.gifIon is great except for the fact that it uses a funny little battery.

The lightbulb.gifAurora, well, don't get me started. Oh wait, I already have...

-Exposed on/off switch is going to turn on in your pack.

-Way higher warranty return rate than the lightbulb.gifTikka. (like 5 to 1 at least)

-More expensive.

-Stupid flashing modes.

-Nice hinge to break.

I've had a Zipka for just over a year now. I took it down to Mexico with me last year and it got plenty of use — our backroom was across the courtyard and had no electricity. I also used it about this summer with some overnight trips.

I have had no problems with the cord. Another nice thing about it is being able to wear it like a braclet or giving it a cinch knot and attatching it to part of your tent or pack.

Also I have yet to need to change the batteries. My old-skool Petzl ate through batteries like fatman in McDonalds.

I would go with the Zipka. But I would also keep your other headlamp as well. The LED's suck for directional light and I would use my older headlamp on early mornign approaches or glacier climbs.

Snoboy-

I like the Ion for its small size and excellent light output. It is very easy to turn on even with gloves.

I like the Aurora because it is also easy to turn on. I would never worry about it accidentally gettting turned on in my pack because I got 70 hours out of one triple A battery.

I liked the Aurora a lot more before I got my Ion. The Aurora is so so bomber, and the Ion seems kinda flimsy, but the Ion is so much smaller and more comfortable that I like it better now. The switch on my Tikka doesn't work very well.

The Zipka is uncomfortable if you wear it for longer than, oh, 30 seconds.

I have put the Aurora and the Tikka through the paces in terms of abuse, and the Tikka is the one with the part that is sort of broken. The Ion is still new so of course I still like it. cool.gif

The Tikka is actually named after a small black and white cat who lives in the north end of Ballard. She likes tuna and laser pointers. rockband.gif

I'm glad your Aurora works for you. I just saw about 5 of them come back totally dead when I worked gear store, and only 1 or 2 Tikka. That is at a point when we had sold about 5 times as many TIkkas as Auroras. shocked.gif

I like the ION for a headlamp that you take when you "aren't" going to need one! I just don't like the battery. I guess that's the price you pay though.

I agree, Tikka switches can be bad, and I bet I know which part of the Tikka is broke. Is it the case just by the battery compartment latch?

Iain:

You are the first person I know who has a quiver of LED headlamps.

Does two count as a quiver? Coz I could be the 2nd. laugh.gif

My cat ignores laser pointers. :wazzup: with that? confused.gif

I like the Tikka. It's easier to get on with cold hands and fumbling OR glove shells. Plus when I'm camping I just wear it around my neck when I sleep, which is very handy if you need it. I think it's bright enough for whatever. I've gone up Rainier with it at night, Hood, etc.........Worked fine with fresh batteries. Some would argue with me, to each his own. Just make sure your getting enough Vitamin A wink.gif

The battery cover lid thing broke on my Tikka, and the switch is very sticky. You've got to get a fingernail under it to turn it on or off.

I needed to have two headlamps, one for work and one for play, because my tools often stay at work, and well, I just needed to have one for each. Then last summer I thought I had lost my Aurora on a trip and my sweetie got me an Ion for a replacement, and then, well, I found my Aurora. So now I have three.

I just went to buy a new battery for my Ion at Fred Meyer, because of course the little bugger takes a special kind of battery, and it was $7.99. That is a lot for a headlamp battery. Maybe I am rethinking the love for the Ion.

I've had Zipka since REI 1st carried them, 2+ years ago? I can't remember. It's in my pant pocket everyday and I use it several times a week. Except for the original lens getting horribly scratched by keys and coins I've no issues with it. Replacement lens (pack of 3: clear and a green and a red: $3) installed and a simple sack to store it in and it's been bomber.

I typically change the 3x AAA batteries after 50 hours of use. But it's the first 30 hours that are very bright. The cord shows almost no wear and the spring-rewind mechanism has no issues.

I've used it for a 20-mile trail jog totally at night, descents from many cascade peaks at night, and over 2 dozen pitches of climbing at night. It's never caused me to pause.

I've never found the cord uncomfortable around my head.

Rather than bring extra batteries, I bring along a second Zipka.

• 2 months later...
JoshK said: [on another thread]

yellowsleep.gif

-Exposed on/off switch is going to turn on in your pack.

Whatever, the tikka's on/off switch is the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen. Most of the ones I've used require herculean strength to turn on, which might sound great, but it's a PITA wiht a glove on. I've never had the aurora turn on in my pack. Perhaps that's because I'm not a dumbass and don't pack it beneath everything. rolleyes.gif I could just as easily come up with some contrived scenario about how the tikka switch could be turned on as I could for the aurora.

-Way higher warranty return rate than the Tikka. (like 5 to 1 at least)

First, I'd like to see more than just your personal experience. Second, the aurora came out much later than the tikka, my guess is they've fixed any potential problems. I've never had one problem and don't know anybody who has.

-More expensive.

When I got my aurora it was $24.95. I guess now it's $29.95. The tikka is $28.95. Yay, one fucking dollar. for $34.95 you can have the zipka, but I dont know why you'd want that.

-Stupid flashing modes.

Yes, I hate this, but they are easily avoided.

-Nice hinge to break.

Hello!? bueller!? You ever tried using it. Actually being able to aim the damn thing is a huge benifit. that's the chief reason I hate the tikka. The cheap little ion even has an aimable beam. Also, the hinge won't break, it's a simple "bushing" that slides inside other plastic, with a metal screw and nut attaching it. I had it loosen once but you just tighten the screw a bit.

Why is my personal experience on the warranty returns not good enough. It's kind of like a sample of many peoples experience really. We got lots bad that were simply "dead,"

the Tikkas that we got back were usually semi functional at least. And the numbers were overwhelmingly in favour of the Tikka.

When I wrote that the Tikka was at least 10-15 $CDN cheaper.

My Tikka aims fine. I just slide it up and down my head. rolleyes.gif

I agree with you about the Zipka. Some people seem to like it though.

There have been some really bad Tikka switches, I'll agree with that. But the good ones rock.

Skisports said:

the Aurroa is better I used to use a tikka but switched to aurroa... the tikka sucks the lighting and the swich on it sucks. half of the time you have to take your gloves off to work the switch on the tikka the aurroa is just better and brighter get over it and go eat a yellow snowcone

BTW the aurroa is cheeper and ligher... You may now countinue to eat your yellow snowcone snaf.gif