HAPPY BOXING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

erik

YES PEOLPE WE MUST NOT FORGET OUR SISTERS AND BROTHERS TO THE NORTH......TODAY IS THE COMMONWEALTH'S GRANDEST DAY!!! BOXING DAY!! SO IF YOU SEE ONE OF OUR BELOVED CANADAIN FRIENDS TO DO GIVE THEM A HUG AND WISH THEM A HAPPY BOXING DAY!

I AM GOING CLIMBING!

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard two diffrentt hings

my mom told my boxing day was for boxing up all the stupid crap you got on x-mas

heard on the radio that boxing day was the day the sevents got off, because they had to work on x-mas to serve the lords and lady's of the mannor... they would leave cold cuts and the such so they could have a day off with their family...

"Servants were required to work on Christmas. They were responsible for making the holiday run smoothly for wealthy landowners. They were allowed to take leave on December 26th and visit their families. The employers gave each servant a box containing gifts and bonuses. In addition, around the 800s' churches opened their alms boxes (boxes where people place monetary donations) and distributed the contents to poor."

From WebHolidays.com

This tradition hasn't entirely died. I can remember my parents giving the milkman, dustman etc christmas boxes when I was a kid.

And of course it's another day off work. It's only the US that takes a mear 24 hours off to celebrate the birth of Christ.

Ade said,"And of course it's another day off work. It's only the US that takes a mear 24 hours off to celebrate the birth of Christ."

Fuck Ade, if its so bad here working and scraping by on the mass bucks you make from Microsoft and who ever else you contract thru go back to Jolly old England and live off the fat of the land with the Queen and her off spring.

Leave us spirtiually decrepit Yanks to rot without your blessings. rockband.gif

I'm sorry I seem to have offended you, there's really no need to get abusive (this isn't Spray after all). Couple of points to note...

I don't care how much or little time you take off to celebrate Christmas (I'm an Athiest), it just strikes me as odd that a country founded by groups of deeply religious people doesn't make a huge deal of Christmas. I never called anyone spritiually decrepit.

I don't work at MSFT. My company employs your fellow Americans (well we try, the economy is tough right now etc etc). If I worked at MSFT then I'd get the whole week off, they close down between Christmas and New year I believe.

The Queen and her offspring are of course essentially Germans. They changed their name to "Winsor" during the WW1 (to make fighting for King and Country a more convincing sell)

Just for the record I took the 24th and 25th off but worked the 26th.

Seasons Greetings and all that.