What ice is in around leavenworth?????

JDCH

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone local should weigh in with real facts, but my magic 8-ball says this is the warmest, driest, and least PNW-ice-friendly season in my 20 years of living here. It is Jan 29th, about 2 weeks prior to the "normal end of our ice season", so if you are swinging tools on something other than pandome, you're doing pretty good.

Alex-

You are right about it being about 20 years, I remember when you came out from the East Coast - and got me stoked about Waterfall Ice. Probably global warming, Alaska is in a melt down. Now you know why I delayed my entry into this aspect of climbing, with the Washington Ice being only a few days per season, and the investment in seasonal gear. Thanks again for your work on the book - good job!

At this point in the season, you are correct - maybe they can get an update from local ice guru, Monty Piton.

Otherwise, it's head to the Issaquah SR 900 cliff to scratch and claw.

:yoda:

ice?? this year?? fugedaboudit. Had 8" snow today, though, so nordic skiing should be good now. Got a look at Nada Falls (above Nada Lake) from Wedge Mountain last week, and it looks climbable... Last walk up Snow Creek was not encouraging -- not much on Millenium Wall, and nothing at all on Fourmile Falls. We're pretty much starting from scratch again... if we're lucky, we might have ice in a couple of weeks given a decent melt/freeze cycle... pray!

Drury is in, Pencil is in. Comic Book Hero is incomplete. Drip is in, but not as fat as I like. Penstock is in, Plastic Fantastic Lover is thin, but doable.

In the Icicle, climbed at Millenium Wall and Rainbow Falls this week, Candlesteins were forming fast, but not quite there yet on Thursday - didn't have time to look today. Haven't driven up to check the Funnel, but it's usually a good bet...

-Haireball

-Haireball