it's not happening, we need another 5-year study

j_b

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been off the board since yesterday due to work, but I also have enjoyed the mtngoat/j_b debate. I have only been able to do a scan of it, but I would say that they got logjammed over j_b's insistence over peer-reviewed documents...and mtngoat has pointed out something noteworthy on that issue.

Unfortunately, peer-reviewed means too often "like minded people"-reviewed. Go ahead, scientists, spray away in response. But in my experience, when you draw together paper-writers in various disciplines, you find that their politics, motivations, and biases are the same. Look to the funders of studies for clues to what the results are likely to say on this issue.

Where is Copernicus when we need him?

Well, dear Trask, Dr. Flash Amazing has in fact been pondering the "does MtnGoat suck?" issue lately. It occurred to DFA that the main reason MtnGoat bugs so much is that he basically never posts anything but exhaustively-argued political repartee. He never swaps good natured jibes (like your punk ass does), never posts a good joke, never throws out beta, never talks about his latest road trip or project or training method. Just plain not very friendly. Which is not to say he's directly unfriendly or hostile, he's just anti-social. Which, in and of itself is no big deal, but coupled with the lockjaw argumentative tenacity and decidedly selfish point of view, makes him an easy choice to dislike.

Can't say there's any real personal animosity there.

Hey, did anyone hear "Squirrel Cop" on This American Life last night? "I can't point to any one thing you did wrong, and I did call you down here ... but I really can't thank you for this."

you guys crack me up. calling *anyone* selfish when nearly every political thread involves precisely what the posters want other people to do, really takes the cake. Nothing is more selfish than deciding your plans for everyone outweigh their own because you know better than they.

That you supposedly may want it for someone "else" does not excuse that it's *you* that's wanting it, sorry!

I get plenty of social time, with jokes and all the rest in normal everyday life, what I don't get is the chance to back and forth on interesting issues.

If I actually posted on roadtrips and projects, would it really change the view of me given my viewpoints on a largely left wing message board? I have trouble believing it. I simply don't find page after page of freshies, horsecock, and snafflehound jokes all that exciting. Much as some don't like my posts.

Thing is, when I don't like it, I don't go the extra mile and insert post after post about how much I hate it, I just figure folks want to have their fun and I don't need to rag on it.

Perhaps as spring rolls around we could do a car camp somewhere, knock back some tall ones around a fire, and swap lies in person, that may help a bit.

The only reason people start political threads in the first place is for opportunities for name calling and general BS - now that Scottryx doesnt respond to trolling or go berzerk over Muir Hut anymore. bigdrink.gif Do you really think anyone is gonna change their mind as a result of two blowhards back-and-forthing over definition of peer Reviewed on a bulletin board? hellno3d.gif

what I am personally not clear about is why are you so intent on imposing your vision of what a bbs should be. Do you see anyone denying you the right to ceaselessly trade the same insults and obscenities with the same individuals? Personally it does not interest me to condone verbal abuse but I don't go out my way to try shutting you down. When something does not interest me, I just move on. So what gives?