Bellingham Bike Rentals?

JonW2

Hi everyone,

A buddy and I are traveling out from CO to climb the N. Ridge of Baker in mid-June and I just found out the road is closed. We might come up with plan B, but it occurred to me that renting bikes in Bellingham might be preferred to traversing the mountain from the Easton side. Any suggestions on a place to rent a couple of bikes? A Google search revealed Fairhaven Bike and Ski...are there others?

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a fair amount of approaches on bikes and in my experience it is only worth it if the approach is not especially uphill. Riding a bike up a steep hill with climbing packs and mountaineering boots is not fun.

The road to the North side of Baker you are better off hoofing it. The approach from the trail head is pretty short (it typically takes me between one and three hours depending on if I am carrying overnight gear, technical gear, speed of my partner, if I am biving at the Hogsback or below the Black Buttes, etc). Walking the road should only add a couple of hours.

tvashtarkaetna's suggestion of climbing the Easton to the Baker-Colfax col and dropping down is a good suggestion. I would probably opt for three days:

-Day 1. Approach and camp below the Easton Glacier.

-Day 2. Climb up and over the saddle and camp on the Coleman Glacier. Established camp sites below the Black Buttes (with toilets) @ ~7,800 ft or traverse West below the North face of Colfax to Mr. Purple Nice Guy Pass with an incredible position and awesome views into Lincoln Peak.

-Day 3. Climb the North Ridge and descend the Easton out to your car.

This approach will allow you to see more of the mountain and do a cool traverse.

Edited by DPS

Off the original topic, but DPS is right that riding up hill can suck, however riding back downhill is awesome if you are coming out the same way.

If it's too steep to ride comfortably I just get off and brace the pack on the handlebars/frame and push the bike. It's kind of like having a cart for your pack and feels easier than just hiking if you are on a good road. Not any slower than just hiking on the uphill, much faster when you get to coast back down. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!