Jimi Hendrix vs Stevie Ray Vaughan

kevbone

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Kask, You beat me to it. Vai is the real deal.

We geezers have a tendency to dwell on the artists of our era (Beck, Page, Hendrix, Vai, Slash, etc.)

There are many excellent guitarists that are under the radar in our media driven current life.

And it has to be considered that Vaughn died in an accident while Hendrix (you can visit the gravesite in Renton BTW) overdosed.

I'd like to have Bieber's bank account or car or any gfs but haven't seen him play guitar. I will not be a paparazzi stalking him however.

Malmsteen? Or even Keith Richards. He's been practically dead for 20 years so should qualify. Joe Perry of Aerosmith is also quite good and is in the same category.

I will still say that Jimi had style and panache but lacked the technical skill or maybe equipment of today's rockers.

I'd like to have Bieber's bank account or car or any gfs but haven't seen him play guitar. I will not be a paparazzi stalking him however.

Malmsteen? Or even Keith Richards. He's been practically dead for 20 years so should qualify. Joe Perry of Aerosmith is also quite good and is in the same category.

I will still say that Jimi had style and panache but lacked the technical skill or maybe equipment of today's rockers.

What made Jim great was his rhythm playing: complex, full of infinite subtle variation. There has been nobody like him since. And his songs are definitely memorable and different from each other. Listen to "Are You Experienced?" and "Axis: Bold as Love" back-to-back. They couldn't be more different.

SRV is great in his own right, but IMO his music sounds too much "the same" to put him on a level with some of the greatest guitarists - like Hendrix and others.

does it really matter what the girl who's blowing you looks like?

You have high standards. :noway:

You guys didn't get the memo that all rock stars are virgins or at least shy. Led Zeppelin denies any groupies and none of the 3000 "done" by Mick Jagger have yet written a book to my knowledge.

Fastest way to the bedroom: music and dancing.

Slowest way to the bedroom: endless belay slave duty or better an epic on a crag or even better involving a bivy and a death march to get there and back.