Cougar Tracks on Stuart/Colchuck Trail.

Verticolorful

Just a friendly bit of information to anyone planning on traveling into the Stuart/Colchuck side of the Enchantments; I encountered tracks traveling along the trail a short distance before the intersection to travel to stuart or colchuck this morning. I was traveling alone otherwise it would not have been as big of a deal.

I know cougar tracks are not certain death but just passing it along. And the snow is almost knee deep up there

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are allot of cougars around nowadays out in the woods. Probably more then we think. Check out this link and photo from the Wenatchee area...

http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/recreation/regional/hunter-gets-photo-of-eight-mountain-lions-congregating-in-central/article_20f2a6fe-3ad5-11e0-bbd7-001cc4c03286.html

Cool link! Although, the article did say explicitly that this doesn't mean there are more cougars out there than we think. I'd love to see one in the wild! That would be wild.

no kidding!

I had my first bear encounter this year, when the guy walked past me at about 50yds away while I was in my sleeping bag and getting ready to go to sleep. Watched him for about a half an hour as he foraged around just across a wash from me at a distance of about 100-150 yds. It finally got so dark I could not see him anymore. It was pretty cool but I was a bit nervous.

Had it been a cat I would have certainly crapped myself.

Bears vs cats in terms of fear factor...cat wins hands down IMO.

When doing surveys in the Klamath Basin I've see up to three on a kill - I assume this was a family group, and another was luking nearby. Similary our remotes have captured three yearlings together.

That photo of eight is pretty rare, seems to be the real deal though, after some web searching. Mt. lions populations in the state have gone up, particularly after the voters banned hound-hunting. WDFW has had to approve this method for select areas to keep the population down in some areas- you could have a long conversation about that.