Great Read

glassgowkiss

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead.

Hey that sounds like my pre-sleep thoughts before summit day! Glad I am engaging in the right kind of thinking!

Hey that sounds like my pre-sleep thoughts before summit day!

......or Woody Allen.

I've decided to open my mind, hoping my fat ass will follow. I'm going to implement a new super-mind training program. I'll start with the easy mental gymnastics, like walking on coals. Next, I'll move up to harder objectives (think Luke Skywalker using the force with the light saber while blind folded). Soon enough, my mind will become so powerful, matter and reality itself will bend to my ego. I will no longer need a rack, rope, or any of that stuff all those suckers use. If I fall, I'll just mind over matter my ass before I hit the ground.

Can I borrow a bit of cash to get started? Seems I'm a bit short for the first levels of Scientology... I can't afford enlightenment. Apparently, it is only for the rich and famous. :(

reading "the drunkard's walk" at the moment - it has an interesting puzzle:

there are 3 doors, behind 1 is a prize. you may pick 1 door, after which the devil will open one of the other 2 doors before you are asked to make your final choice. does changing your mind on which door to open in any way improve your odds of winning the prize?

Does he open them at random? What if he picks the one with the prize in it, can I change my mind to that one?

he's the devil, so of course it's not random, and of course he'll never show you the prize. you can always stay w/ your original choice, or switch to the door he didn't open.

wait, I guess it's a 2/3 chance, not 50/50. Right?

yup, while the common sense assumption is that your odds would still be 50/50, in fact, only 1/3 of the time will you have made the right choice at first, whereupon the devil's revelation will be unimportant - but in 2/3 of the cases, your choice will be wrong, and the devil will then only have the choice to flip the other wrong door - therefore, you should always flip the door the devil leaves alone.

another interesting tidbit from this book: look at any random # you might see on the internet, in a phone book, in a newspaper, book, street sign, table of scientific information, etc. what is by far the most likely first digit in the #? which is the least likely initial digit?

reading "the drunkard's walk" at the moment - it has an interesting puzzle:

there are 3 doors, behind 1 is a prize. you may pick 1 door, after which the devil will open one of the other 2 doors before you are asked to make your final choice. does changing your mind on which door to open in any way improve your odds of winning the prize?

MARILYN VOS SAVANT SAID MONTY HAUL NOT THE DEVIL.

foo

another interesting tidbit from this book: look at any random # you might see on the internet, in a phone book, in a newspaper, book, street sign, table of scientific information, etc. what is by far the most likely first digit in the #? which is the least likely initial digit?

BENFORDS LAW

but try using that for your keno bets and you'll be screwed. numbers aren't large enough. also doesn't work for phone numbers unless you use the 1 for long distances first like 1-206-867-5309

Edited by G-spotter