Guitar Thread

KaskadskyjKozak

And his soloing style sucks IMO.

You're right, and Chris Broderick isn't worthy of bein' a pimple on Stanley Jordan's ass, who owns two-handed tapping just as Malmsteen owns speed-picking.

And they both do their thing with more feel and flow and phrasing and meaning than anything anyone's posted or mentioned on this thread.

I think all this stuff sucks. 32nd... 64th notes; whatever.

if you're REALLY talking about being a COMPLETE guitarist and musician, and this is what you're showing, then I gotta say,"Izzat all you got????"

I agree.

Mark Knopfler on "Sultans of Swing" and "Telegraph Road", Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Lenny"(utterly sublime)

Knopfler was one of my first thoughts at the onset of this thread... and Eddy, of course. SRV was next. Vai gets props, which is good for what he's contributed. But like all the vids on here, even if we limit ourselves to the shred, and not to the 'shed...

BEFORE we had fuzz-wah and feedback, or intentionally done without it, just pure, solid, ass-kicking woodshed-garage-grown sore-fingered slavery to the muse that has produced so much great musicianship

, all these vids have dudes doin' like... one thing.

Complete?

My favorite words, by the way. Nicely put.

Also, not fer nuthin', but stayin' true do da' rule, (completeness), there's prolly a few cuntry strummers I'd wanna bring up. Those guys have chops ferreal.

I'm gonna listen to Ed Shred.

I'm gonna go check out your setlist 'n then come back; startin' with Jump. It is one fine piece. And it IS the phrasing and FEEL that sets it apart from most.

Zappa's not my bag. And ya almost lost me with Richards. Cool Guitar work such as pure riff'dom and a lotta other aspects, no doubt, but.... you're the one who said somethin' about offerin' up somethin' for the shred-heads in here. Richards?!?!? C'mon MAN!

We may as well mention RIk Emmet while we're at it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And his soloing style sucks IMO.

You're right, and Chris Broderick isn't worthy of bein' a pimple on Stanley Jordan's ass, who owns two-handed tapping just as Malmsteen owns speed-picking.

And they both do their thing with more feel and flow and phrasing and meaning than anything anyone's posted or mentioned on this thread.

I think all this stuff sucks. 32nd... 64th notes; whatever.

He is an all around amazing guitarist.

[video:youtube]

Hendrix: master of rhythm guitar, constantly varying the riff. Master of lead. Master of noise (feedback). Does it get any better than Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), Little Wing, or just about anything he's done? Just ask the Axis... ;-)

Yes. Hendrix was God.

No one has mentioned Buckethead yet. Not the "best", but a mad skill set for sure, lots of variety and technique in spades, very inventive.

[video:youtube]

Hendrix: master of rhythm guitar, constantly varying the riff. Master of lead. Master of noise (feedback). Does it get any better than Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), Little Wing, or just about anything he's done? Just ask the Axis... ;-)

AND, I forgot to mention Hendrix' former bandleader and mentor Guitar Shorty, who is still around and still just a choppin' away like a mad woodsman--his signature grand entry number "Caught in the Crossfire" is a barn-burner. It was in Shorty's band that Jimi matured into the master he became. God, I still miss him... :cry:

I need to start recording myself playing, beyond using an iPhone or the shitty microphone on my laptop. I'd like to record straight into my laptop for now and mix using Cubase or whatever. How do you record yourself?

I just got done recording my album in a very nice studio. Ever thought about throwing the money in to get it done right?

I picked up an 8-track digi-studio about 4 years ago. It uses an sd card as opposed to an on-board cd. I really wish it had cd burner, but it was a gift, and it was probably ~400 clams as it was. The cd-version would'a been a couple-hundred more. It's ultra-portable and it's about the same size and twice as thick as a netbook.

There's free software that'll help me dump a master onto cd and/or a wave file or something like that via my computer. I just haven't taken that step yet; mostly cuz I hate workin' with the 'puter.

Far as I can tell the biggest factor in achieving pro sound quality is simply a matter of learning how to mix. Digital is so clean! Anyhthing that ya do nowadayz is gonna be digital anyway. "Demo" quality can easily be close to studio-quality if you're patient and have a good ear.

I bought a GOOD studio-quality pair of cans with really flat response for mix-down. Mixing definitely takes time to learn as its an artform in its own right.

It took me 2 full weeks of solid 10-hour days just getting familiar and comfortable with navigating my recorder! But the sound quality is pretty sick! I recorded one project and by the end I was fried so I haven't done anything else with it yet except playing with the mix for fun and practice.

My chops were solid and had even expanded by the time I was done. I had played so much. More so than any other time I've ever recorded. I think cuz this time it was a lot cheaper, my virtual rhythm section played what I told 'em to play, they got it in one take, they didn't argue with me, and it was all about me all the time :tup: It's the first time recording was ever fun for me, so that was pretty cool.

The amount of stuff this recorder can do is quite impressive. I got it thinkin' it'd be a good "sketch pad" if you will, but turns out I can take a project all the way to master with it.

It's got a ton of rhythm presets and patterns with drums/drums+bass of all styles 1-4 measures long if you want you can literally piece-together, tell it what key and build your own tune. The one project I recorded was inspired by doing this, and I ended up with something I NEVER would'a written otherwise. It's pretty cool.

You can obviously go from scratch with it as well.

If ya wanna navigate a li'l easier or record more than 2 or 3 tracks simultaneously, or are serious and intend to ultimately by-pass having to pay for a real studio for a long time, which you're probably gonna wanna end up doin, cuz once ya get into it you're gonna be among the resident geeks at guitar center buyin' studio monitors and pre amps and ... then you should probably buy a 16 track unit. Yes, the 8-track is digital so yes it has literally endless tracks. You can put together quite a record if you have enough time and patience. It would just be easier and faster with 16 to start rather than 8.

Anything mic'd needs to be pumped thru a mic pre-amp to get any kind of decent line-level. It's got a condenser mic that works pretty good if you take your time and experiment with placement, levels, etc.

I originally had the intention of recording all the guitars mic'd up, but the lack of a pre-amp and the quality of the effects on board this thing are so good I did two of 3 gtr tracks (including the lead) direct. The one rhythm track that's mic'd will probably end up going direct thru a selection of presets cuz they sound so good and the mic'd track is so hard to compress and is all over the place in relation to how well-balanced all the direct tracks are. I have a pocket pod that I can utilize for all it offers as well. Anything can get plugged into a loop, but always remember as soon as the digital circuit gets gapped stuff starts gettin' noisy... and not in a good way.

I like some of the gtr presets a lot, and I was always hard core about tubes. They've come a long way with digital!

I'm been messin' with it lately and hope to maybe even post something (once I figure out all that) thanks to this thread.

That's the key though... having time to take and spend learning to navigate it. I imagine all computer-based recording is probably pretty similar.

I haven't tried recording any vox on it though so I can't say anything about that 'cept what I mentioned earlier about needing/wanting a decent-quality mic preamp to do it. I'll have to do it sooner or later cuz a lot of my stuff has vox. Hopefully I'll get some on here soon; at least the one thing I have done and mastered.

Are you looking for something to do on Valentines Day? I am am playing guitar at Ice Cream Renaissance in Up Town Village in Vancouver on Valentines Day. I will be playing from 7-8:30 pm. This is the first time I will have played there so I hope to see you all.

http://www.icecreamrenaissance.com/

Kevin

Are you playing "Ice Cream Man", by any chance? ;-)

Are you looking for something to do on Valentines Day? I am am playing guitar at Ice Cream Renaissance in Up Town Village in Vancouver on Valentines Day. I will be playing from 7-8:30 pm. This is the first time I will have played there so I hope to see you all.

http://www.icecreamrenaissance.com/

Kevin

Are you playing "Ice Cream Man", by any chance? ;-)

You made a funny. I actually laughed.....and no.

• 2 weeks later...