Guitar Thread

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can someone tell me how to do all the quotes?

How do you quote/respond to more than one post in a single reply/post?

I can do it once, but if I wanna quote a post from a different page I lose my original.

Am I making sense?

It is no different that quoting just one person. I recommend paste and copying all you need from each post you are quoting onto a word document. Then format it the way you want the paste it back into your original post and walla!

You're making all the sense in the world, CW. You will lose your original post if you switch between views during a reply to a post. There are two ways that I use to prevent that:

1) I see no need to fuss with a word processing software. Hit Quote for the first poster you want to quote, but also have a second window of cc.com open from which to copy the other quote(s) that you want to add to your post. Copy the different quotes you need from the second window one at a time, switch back to your original window with your still-open reply box, and dump it into your reply post. Surf the thread and repeat as necessary. Separate the various authors by using the quote=username and /quote tags. Don't forget to place the brackets at the beginning and end of both quote function tags [ ] and you're on your way. Easy as cake. Piece of pie. Or something like that...

2) Pick one poster to quote, hit Quote, make your reply, then hit Submit. Then go back and find the other poster(s) that you want to quote, highlight and copy the text you want, then navigate back to your own post that you just submitted. Hit the Edit toggle, and paste the text into your post where you want it, add the quote tags and brackets, and hit Change Post. Voilà!

You're making all the sense in the world, CW. You will lose your original post if you switch between views during a reply to a post. There are two ways that I use to prevent that:

1) I see no need to fuss with a word processing software. Hit Quote for the first poster you want to quote, but also have a second window of cc.com open from which to copy the other quote(s) that you want to add to your post. Copy the different quotes you need from the second window one at a time, switch back to your original window with your still-open reply box, and dump it into your reply post. Surf the thread and repeat as necessary. Separate the various authors by using the quote=username and /quote tags. Don't forget to place the brackets at the beginning and end of both quote function tags [ ] and you're on your way. Easy as cake. Piece of pie. Or something like that...

2) Pick one poster to quote, hit Quote, make your reply, then hit Submit. Then go back and find the other poster(s) that you want to quote, highlight and copy the text you want, then navigate back to your own post that you just submitted. Hit the Edit toggle, and paste the text into your post where you want it, add the quote tags and brackets, and hit Change Post. Voilà!

What's a tag?

Scratching my head right now.

Anyway.... Kevbone, thanks for the welcome!

Sobo, howcome when I clicked the button more of your post showed up in the quote than what was in the post to begin with?

Damn I'm just not made for the digital world. Anyway... yes... I'm over 5 hours to anything climbable at all.

What's a tag?
Tags are these things: [tag=username] and [/tag]. Replace the word "tag" with "quote" and you have a quote tag. Put the text between the tags and you've quoted someone. Change the word "username" to the person's username that you're quoting, to give attribution to that user. Similarly, replace the word "tag" with "img" (and delete the "=username" part), paste the URL of the image between the tags, and now you have an image tag (to add pictures to a post). You get the idea...

Sobo, howcome when I clicked the button more of your post showed up in the quote than what was in the post to begin with?
Stealth editing... :whistle:

Choad, I've been thinkin' about your "complete" guitarist post.

I got nuthin'. To me, anyone striving for "completeness" is the same as an ability to sound like everyone except yourself.

Lotsa cover bands have well-rounded players but none of them have their own sound.

Is there an example of a guitarist we'd all know who's set this bar? Like.. if I could learn ___________ played and recorded by _____________, who would it be? What song?

Alright...since you specified electric guitar, and since tastes seem to run heavily in favor of shred style playing on this forum, I'll give you this:

[video:youtube]

Sonny Landreth is a truly superlative guitarist and musician. :rocken::rawk:

I also think that one of the all-time great guitar leads EVER is Eddie Van Halen's solo in "Jump!". Just a soaring, magnificent, towering, flaming tour de force. As imaginative a passage of music as has ever been created, in any category of music you want to name. Intricate, speed,dead-on phrasing,tonality,complexity, passion, power, sheer exuberance and joy, I mean it just has EVERYTHING. My Mother,who was a professional concert pianist,pipe organist, and composer, listened to that lead at the age of 83, and said "You bet, that boy can play; it's AS GOOD AS ANYTHING HAS EVER BEEN...". I rank that lead with anything in music from Bach,Beethoven and Bernstein to B.B.King,Clapton,Duane Allman, Johnny Winter,Hendrix, Zeppelin, etc. But you can go on and on; Frank Zappa's lead on "Orange County Lumber Truck"(Weasels Ripped My Flesh)--Zappa was one of the greatest lead guitarists, and totally, truly, complete musicians who ever lived--Keith Richards' on so many things from "Gimme Shelter"and "Live With Me", to "I Like It", "Start It Up" and "Dead Flowers", Mark Knopfler on "Sultans of Swing" and "Telegraph Road", Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Lenny"(utterly sublime), Leo Kotke on almost anything he's recorded--talk about "complete"? fucking amazing;

Jesse Cook on "Tempest",Al Stewart's "Time Passages",Felix Pappalardi of Mountain on "Nantucket Sleighride",and Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane on "Embryonic Journey"(Surrealistic Pillow)and Bert Jansch on "Pentangle",to name just a very, very few of the best. Now I don't mean to put anybody down, or to malign anyone's personal tastes in music, but IMHO, you guys haven't even begun to scratch the surface yet; do you know your history, where all this great stuff that we're seeing now, has come from? All these guys today are standing on the shoulders of the giants of the past, and they've done their homework by listening to absolutely EVERYTHING that's a moment of vibrant passion and truth in music. So come on, dudes, fucking get serious.. and as I said, I'm not meaning to put anyone down here, but I AM trying to egg you on, push you out of the box. Listen to some of the things that were done BEFORE we had fuzz-wah and feedback, or intentionally done without it, just pure, solid, ass-kicking woodshed-garage-grown sore-fingered slavery to the muse that has produced so much great musicianship. Listen to the great dobro player Jerry Douglas doing "Wheel Horse"or "Georgia Brown", and then track that stuff back almost 100 years to where it comes from, and then come back and kick THAT up a notch.Listen to Jorma Kaukonen from the 60's, and then go and find out what he's doing NOW--you'll be amazed. Same way with the old Ventures-"Walk,Don't Run","Apache", "Pipeline", they're still around. But they haven't settled into a rut, they just keep growing and getting better. Doc Watson is Bluegrass, and one of the greatest guitarists who's ever lived--just ultimate musicianship, crisp, flowing,rolling like a clear, sunlit mountain stream. There's just SO much more; so I'm just sayin',shred, psycho-billy and death-metal is great,but if you're REALLY talking about being a COMPLETE guitarist and musician, and this is what you're showing, then I gotta say,"Izzat all you got????"

Edited by Mtguide