What Kind Of Car Do Real Mountaineers/Climbers Have?

STORER

I owned an extended cab Silverado in Alaska, but sold it when we decided to move. Gas milage was piss poor. Once the 4 barrel opened you could actually see the gas gauge go down, down, down. Since then we bought an extended cab Tacoma with a Carryboy topper, great milage(city and highway combined 20mpg). Sleep in the back, not near Mt. Rainer, eat in the back if weather is real shitty, good rack on top for carrying drift boat, kayak, etc. The extended cab is real nice for my dog.

I personally like trucks but station wagons are good climber cars, too. Again you can crash in the back and be somewhat comfortable in shitty conditions(4 wheel drive is nice but you can get along without it if you don't go in places where you can bottom out real easy).

I am very cheap and don't want to pay for a room, so both of these vehicles are good choices. [big Grin]

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the Tacoma extended cab for leg room (I'm 6'-2" w/creaky knees)? I have thought about the Toyota, either Tacoma or ForeRunner, but don't have any experience driving them and hear various reports on the V-6.

Mileage on the Silverado is better now that they have the injected Vortec engine, still about 18mpg.

When my '87 Soobie wagon dies, I will be looking for basically the same car with more ground clearance. Other than that, and the fact that it's a little poky, it's a great, great car. For someone with limited resources, it's pretty much the perfect mtn rig. Just be sure to set aside a couple hun for a CD player, as it really makes all the difference on road trips!

I've been driving a toyota 4x4 for fifteen years, and it needs a new head gasket - or maybe a new head. I think I'm going to go for the Subaru. I look forward to having a vehicle that gets better mileage, is safer, has better visibility, rides and handles better, and is quiet enough that I'll be able to hear the music I play on the way to go climbing.

Interior noise is definitely louder in Tacomas than in 4runners. 4runners have a lot of frou-frou crap that I don't need, especially now. the new 4runner looks like crap in my opinion. I don't like all the plastic showing up on car panels these days. I am 6'0 and have had no legroom issues. Get the V6, my 4 cylinder is underpowered like most toyotas (besides the tundra). even the V6 is weak but has a smoother ride.

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

I've been driving a toyota 4x4 for fifteen years, and it needs a new head gasket - or maybe a new head. I think I'm going to go for the Subaru. I look forward to having a vehicle that gets better mileage, is safer, has better visibility, rides and handles better, and is quiet enough that I'll be able to hear the music I play on the way to go climbing.

Matt, DFA is thinking about selling his brand new Sub' and going with a used model. Fire off a PM if you want to buy it! Meet you in Olympia, cash talks.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

Greg, you don't head to the crags in that plush 6-cyl. LL Beans Outback? That thing would be top choice for this Doctor. Of course, DFA's climbing adventures rarely leave the highway, so clearance is not an issue.

Not yet; the Outback is the wife/child mobile. Plus, the Chevy is every bit as plush minus the heated seats and dual sunroofs!

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

4runners have a lot of frou-frou crap that I don't need...

Is there a car on the market that doesn't?

All I want is something that drives like a car but has enough clearance to drive up a poorly maintained logging road, and I gotta buy some kind of all-wheel-drive SUV or sub-SUV and it's going to have electric windows, automatic coffee holder, driving lights, and a 5-disc CD changer.

quote:

worst feature - the cupholders right over the stereo.

Upgrade, baby. They did away with that one in the 2003 and just have two in the console. All in all, it's nice but I still don't like the steering system (not stiff enough).

quote:

worst feature - the cupholders right over the stereo.

Upgrade, baby. They did away with that one in the 2003 and just have two in the console. All in all, it's nice but I still don't like the steering system (not stiff enough).

quote:

Matt, DFA is thinking about selling his brand new Sub' and going with a used model. Fire off a PM if you want to buy it! Meet you in Olympia, cash talks.

Let me take it for a test drive for a month or so. We'll talk in December.

quote:

I see, I was wheeling around in a 1999 legacy and th cupholder thing was driving me insane. I require coffee. I require music. Is it too much to ask to have both at the same time
[laf]

Fuck! This is a potentially devastating quandary! Dr. Flash Amazing, also an equally caffeine- and music-driven individual, may be hosed if he trades down to an older model! What to do, what to do? [Frown] Perhaps a stereo with a remote would solve it?

quote:

quote:

Let me take it for a test drive for a month or so. We'll talk in December.

[laf]

You are insane. Perhaps this could be arranged with a modest deposit. Say 15,000 up front?

Don't be afraid DFA, Mattp is a bolt clipper, too...except his are usually about 25-30' (or more) apart!!

[ 11-01-2002, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Greg W ]

quote:

A $15,000 deposit? But with that cupholder design flaw, the thing can't be worth more than $10,000.

Oh, but no; the cupholder flaw is remedied (see above posts addressing this issue).

Also, don't forget the 4-wheel ABS, dual airbags, cruise control, power windows and lox, rear window dust shield, and Alpine Mobile Security alarm system, not to mention "the beauty of all-wheel drive!"