What Kind Of Car Do Real Mountaineers/Climbers Have?

STORER

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

4runners have a lot of frou-frou crap that I don't need...

Is there a car on the market that doesn't?

All I want is something that drives like a car but has enough clearance to drive up a poorly maintained logging road, and I gotta buy some kind of all-wheel-drive SUV or sub-SUV and it's going to have electric windows, automatic coffee holder, driving lights, and a 5-disc CD changer.

My sub is so stripped down it doesn't even have the right side view mirror. No power anything, nothing special other than a self installed CD player, (somtime I put in my 2 McCauley 12's with an 800 watt amp, but this gets in the way when full of gear).

Cub holder over the stereo sux...A total pain in the arse.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's getting to be a standard feature on a lot of cars. All good in the Doctor's opinion. The more goodies you can get in a base model car, the better. Hell, you can get a Mazda Protege 5 with everything short of leather interior (worthless maintenance hassle) for 16,000. And the Legacy L comes in nicely equipped for around 18,500. Even the Ford Focus has that shit, although not on the base model (or at least it didn't a year or so ago), and that thing is cheeeeap.

quote:

Originally posted by STORER:

Since there are all those commercials out there marketing SUVs to climbers, I was wondering what kind of car(s) do you guys have.

Current car(Mercedes) has 275k on it - it's still cruising. The only major drivetrain work that's been done is to replace the injectors (knock on wood). It eats the highway miles - which is really is its only real qualification as a climbers car(though it's been to the Tetons, Winds & Sierras)

[ 11-01-2002, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: cj001f ]

The BF has one of those new Highlanders. I hate to admit it, but it is really fun to drive, very sporty for an SUV. More ground clearance than my Sub, and more comfortable, though it IS an SUV gas guzzler pig thing. Haven't slept in it yet, so the jury is still out on this vital feature for mtn car.

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

The BF has one of those new Highlanders. I hate to admit it, but it is really fun to drive, very sporty for an SUV. More ground clearance than my Sub, and more comfortable, though it IS an SUV gas guzzler pig thing. Haven't slept in it yet, so the jury is still out on this vital feature for mtn car.

"Highlander"?? Vas ist das? Who makes it?

I got a Chevy C50, 19,000 GVW. I can haul 10 yards of chips and a trailer.

I am looking for a Isuzu cabover type truck. With a chip box, tool boxes, a dump, and a hoist. I'm hoping to keep the whole thing under 26,000 GVW so the WSSP doesn't make me take a piss test.

I would guess from the Climbing Partners section that only half of us own cars. A true mountian vehicle is whatever someone else is willing to drive for you.

I have had two Broncos, super size and small size, and both are good mtn. rigs and not so hard on gas either. I also have an 86 Civic that's going to get some modifications and become my new rally ride.

quote:

Originally posted by STORER:

I always keep my rock climbing gear in my car. I guess I should remove it, but most people don't even know what it is. I doubt your willing to fly to Cleveland to steal a harness, rope and a small rack of pro.

Steve
[rockband]

Oh, you might be surprised! We Northwest cc.com types are always looking for booty gear and will go to great lengths to get it. [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

Greg, I PM'd you the link to the FIST holster. Now please tell your wife to quit calling me while you're out. trask

Got it. Sorry, my wife was looking for eggs; she thought Chicken F'er meant chicken farmer. I have corrected her in this and she is now disgusted with your poulty-lovin' antics.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

quote:

Greg, I PM'd you the link to the FIST holster. Now please tell your wife to quit calling me while you're out. trask

Got it. Sorry, my wife was looking for eggs; she thought Chicken F'er meant chicken farmer. I have corrected her in this and she is now disgusted with your poulty-lovin' antics.

go suck an egg

quote:

go suck an egg

In that scenario, the egg WOULD come first wouldn't it? [laf][laf]

Back on-topic, I drive a Chevy Silverado extended cab. It's nice, but spendy on gas and I don't have cover to sleep under if needed. It's a great truck, though. Maybe a Tahoe would be better, then I could lay the seats down and sleep; same with the ForeRunner but I haven't driven one.

[ 11-01-2002, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Greg W ]

Well, this ride is no longer with me, but it was a memorable one for our deliquent teenage expeditions. I used to have a trashed bent 1969 Ford Galaxy Deluxe. These heavy monsters were often converted for stock car racing--super heavy frame, rocket launch-like acceleration, and single-digit gas milage that inspired delirious joy amongst OPEC members.

You couldn't fill the tank up past half, or it would rapidly leak out, leaving a trail of gas and other vital fluids on the road behind you. In fact, we had to keep a close eye out for people throwing cigarette butts from cars in front of us and take evasive action--or risk being chased down by a trail of burning fuel.

Back in the day I set my own personal land-speed-with-a-boat-attached-to-your-roof record in that car. Myself and three friends were on our way to float the Winchester Wasteway, which is a maze of a swamp/stream/overgrown irrigation ditch that flows from just past George, WA into the Potholes Reservoir. With a 20 foot green canoe strapped to the top of that thing, we pegged the speedometer at 130 before backing off for fear of taking off into the atmosphere.

For a 1969, this car was loaded: it was one of the first models with air conditioning, full power windows, brakes, steering, etc. One of it's other quirks was that the car would die spontanously, leaving us coasting down the North Cascades Highway at 80, with no brakes or steering. While squealing around curves, wrestling the non-responsive steering wheel and stomping on power brakes useless with no power, you had to kick it into neutral, restart it and get it back in drive before losing complete control of the beast.

[ 11-02-2002, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]

"Real Mountaineers/Climbers" don't have a car. But us poseurs who live on the fringe of society do. I drive a Mazda family MPV (that's "Most Precious Vehicle" to yous) that easily transports young porch monkeys, or climbers. I can cook, change boots, clothes, or bang babes on the rear floor. It only kinda smells like a gym locker, and get shitty mileage. I aspire to a scooby WRX sport wagon with suspension, exhaust, and intake upgrades to achieve that 143mph top end (but we all know it's the ripping mid-range at 5000rpm that gets it). Meanwhile, I'm building a winter-bike and ride alongside the town 'tard ("the happiest man in the world" and my envy for his outlook on life) while I also build my dream business.

Anejo and Coke gets it.