Washington Bolt Replacement

kurthicks

Cool idea Curt. I would chip in. :)

Anyone else?

Thank you for keeping your word and your service for the safety of our community. If there is anyway I can help please let me know.

~Keri

Totally agree. There should be a Paypal account (if there isn't already) that the rest of us can pitch a few bucks into. You and other folks doing the maintenance shouldn't have to cover the hardware costs as well.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Exit 38

We Did Rock

July 26, 2013

Your Sister - Replaced 2 anchor bolts and chains.

My X Wife - Added one anchor bolt with chains. Will replace other bolt in the future. Didn't have the proper removal tools to take out the open shuts on the existing manky anchor, but at least now there is a closed link to thread the rope through.

The Joke - Replaced missing hangers and added camouflaged chains.

Some Drugs - Replaced the existing stacked chain/washer rap anchor.

Thanks to Petzl for donating the hangers!

57987_459257107506586_14333742_n.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, look what we have been hanging our asses on for years! Thanks Kurt for replacing this stuff!

I also appreciate any constructive comments made about hardware being installed today, after all it is what we'll be hanging our asses on for the next decade(s).

num1mc can you support your statements with some information?

num1mc can you support your statements with some information?

Just that they have a smaller cross section than equivalent rod that would go into a nominal 1/2 glue whole, and have a very ad hoc garage built look to them.

Glue-in bolts are the standard across all of the EU, though some folks still place in "bolt-in" (a.k.a. expansion bolts) hardware in some places. Our American homegrown bolting systems are long overdue for some updating, especially on the west side of the Cascades where use of non-stainless hardware runs rampant and is not a long lasting solution. I do appreciate and understand the perception that glue-in hardware may look more 'garage built', but the reality is that all climbing hardware that has passed CE rating is deemed safe for climbing regardless of its outward appearance. I think educating the American climbing public will serve us all well in this regard—although, let's be honest, most folks will clip whatever is there since they want to do the climb—and that is the whole reason for going to all of the trouble of replacing this bad hardware.

In this instance, these were chosen for a) longevity in a corrosive environment b) a very high use area where it is conceivable for multiple parties to be on them at one time and c) glue-ins are the only bolt that only exerts force on the rock when it is being weighted, unlike all other bolts, which is a good thing in fractured rhinostone.

Thanks for your efforts Kurt, much appreciated!

If I catch num1mc's drift, I don't think he is questioning the glue-ins, but the type of glue-in as maybe being less than optimal. I am too ignorant to have an opinion, but you guys may be talking past one another.

• 2 weeks later...
Leavenworth

Clamshell Cove crag

July 8, 2013

Replaced 5 top rope anchors. Inspected all remaining anchors. Didn't bring a rope, so I didn't replace any of the lead bolts.

Don't put epoxy on the top of bolts!

1016240_451173204981643_530412000_n.jpg

Perhaps not the best choice but I'm responsible for that epoxy. 12-15 years ago there was a wave of hanger theft at a number of different Leavenworth crags, Clamshell Cave having been hit several times. I did it to deter theft and obviously it worked quite well. (I would note that I reused the existing studs.) Fairly certain that was the only place epoxy was ever used by myself.

I appreciate all efforts made toward replacing "sketchy" hardware, however having removed a well rounded assortment of Leavenworth funk myself, IMO I don't feel just because a bolt is a button head or a fixed pin was used it should be considered "sketchy". Many of the 5/16 button heads are extremely solid and quite difficult to remove and aren't always "relics". Same goes for well placed fixed pins. I would hate to see the character of some climbs changed by a blanket removal of fixed pins and button heads. Leavenworth's arid nature preserves even non stainless hardware for many generations and replacement should be analyzed on an individual basis. That said, thanks again for your efforts!

I agree Ron. Thanks for chiming in!

Most of the funk in Leavenworth isn't that funky. There aren't that many 1/4" or 5/16" button heads that remain really (but it's fun to go looking for them). And 5/16" are really strong if they were done right the first time (and really hard to remove!). I haven't replaced a single fixed pin with a bolt, nor do I plan on it. The goal is to never change of the character of a route and to evaluate the need for replacement one piece at a time.