A World Without Islam

archenemy

A while back someone posted to one of the awesome threads in which we were arguing about Islam. A poster, I don't remember who, said I should read the book listed in the title of the thread. I went ahead Nd ordered it but had to wait for months to get the new edition.

I don't remember who made that suggestion, but thank you - it is an amazing read.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In this wide-ranging historical text, Fuller, former vice chairman of the National Intelligence Council at the CIA, suggests that many of the current tensions that exist between the East and the West have geopolitical rather than religious origins and that these tensions would have arisen in a "world without Islam."...

...Fuller thus dares to suggest that overcoming the twenty-first-century anti-Western animosities of Middle Eastern Muslims requires an honest and historically informed assessment of economic and political inequities that moves us beyond a fixation on religious issues.

Works for me.

A fine counterpoint to the Fuller text is Dore Golds work (Gold is former Israeli ambassador to the UN). "Hatred's Kingdom: How Saudi Arabia Supports the New Global Terrorism"

http://www.amazon.com/Hatreds-Kingdom-Arabia-Supports-Terrorism/dp/0895260611/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310492890&sr=1-4

BTW, the 1 stars reviews on Amazon given for the Fuller work seem particularly well written. http://www.amazon.com/World-Without-Islam-Graham-Fuller/product-reviews/0316041203/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

:wave:

BTW, the 1 stars reviews on Amazon given for the Fuller work seem particularly well written.

Wow, hadn't thought about that! I never have to read another book again! I'll just decide how the premise of the book fits into my already fully-formed, airtight worldview, read the five-star or one-star reviews on Amazon, determine whether or not I think they seem "well written", and go about my day not having learned a fucking thing. Ah, the internet...

BTW, the 1 stars reviews on Amazon given for the Fuller work seem particularly well written.

Wow, hadn't thought about that! I never have to read another book again! I'll just decide how the premise of the book fits into my already fully-formed, airtight worldview, read the five-star or one-star reviews on Amazon, determine whether or not I think they seem "well written", and go about my day not having learned a fucking thing. Ah, the internet...

As if you are any different than that.

As if you are any different than that.

I'd take prole's investigative skills over Bill's ANY DAY. No offense, Bill.

A fine counterpoint to the Fuller text is Dore Golds work (Gold is former Israeli ambassador to the UN). "Hatred's Kingdom: How Saudi Arabia Supports the New Global Terrorism"

Dore Gold? Seriously? Did you ever hear that f@#$%^ lie between his teeth on anything to do with the Palestinians as unoffical Israeli spokeman after he left the UN and as JCPA spinner. Granted, he may have some interesting take on things but man could that guy lie with a straight face. No thanks.

A while back someone posted to one of the awesome threads in which we were arguing about Islam. A poster, I don't remember who, said I should read the book listed in the title of the thread... I don't remember who made that suggestion, but thank you - it is an amazing read.

You're welcome - glad you're enjoying it.

Meanwhile, in other theological news: Pasta strainer qualifies as "religious headgear" :lmao:

Dore Gold? Seriously? Did you ever hear that f@#$%^ lie between his teeth on anything to do with the Palestinians as unoffical Israeli spokeman after he left the UN and as JCPA spinner. Granted, he may have some interesting take on things but man could that guy lie with a straight face. No thanks.

Like most Americans, and probably people in general, BCo is a lot better at disseminating than discriminating.