Dogs and City of Rocks

patob

My wife and I were thinking about going to city of rocks at the end of the month. One of the questions is whether or not to take the dog. How dog friendly is City of Rocks? Any other beta like best campground, food, routes, etc much appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that there are some areas that have wooden corrals around the vegetation and "no dogs" signs. They've had problems with dogs "nesting" at the base of the trees, digging down to cool soil to hang out, and it's been a problem. I particularly noticed it down in the valley below Tribal Boundaries, near New York Is Not The City and other routes in that area.

I found it too be very dog friendly as did my dog. Definetly less strife with other climbers when it's not peak season, but there is lots of room to roam and get away from the crowds. Favorite campsite is #21, make sure to bring ALL the food you need as there is only one small general store with limited supplies, (Almo General Store) but spend some money there because climbers keep it going and they have great pizza. Batwings is an awesome climb. I am heading there in the end of September to avoid crowds and super hot weather. Hope you enjoy the trip.

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

COR on a nice October Day.

Dogs are no problem, the City is the only "campground", many nice spots (Area 51 is City Central). Almo is a one horse town, so food and eateries are far away. Try "Delay of Game". Since everything weather wise is a month late, it would be a good idea to call the Almo store and see how deep the snow is. Hwy 20 in Washington Pass just opened, and they reported finding 75 feet of snow at the Liberty Bell area; not sure what Idaho got this year.