Scuba-Climbing... the sport of the future

Dennis_Harmon

For those of you still unawares, there exists a plethora of virgin rock in the area of Lake Chelan. It is ripe for development (sport routes included) but, unfortunately, it is all underwater. On the plus side, however, it is always nice and cool down there, unlike Vantage, and hardly another party of scuba-climbers is ever seen. What we've been doing is to both wear double steel 120's in combination with 80 lbs. of weight apiece, (this will vary, of course, depending on your body weight) descend to the depth we wish to climb up from, locate our chosen route, remove our fins and just "go for it!" We usually take a small rack and 6mm rope. We've found that large racks increase our negative bouyancy, so we try to stay light. Some of these faces are 2000 feet deep and without adequate bouyancy compensation, you could easily find yourself falling into the abyss. If you have questions feel free to contact via PM. Dennis

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that might generate some interest. weight yourself down with as much as you can, sink to the bottom, and then see if you can climb the rock before you die [Wink] that sound like fun [big Grin]

Air tanks are for pussies [Wink]

[ 06-25-2002, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: sk ]

SK.... "The sage needs to know like water how to flow around blocks and how to find the way through without violence." -Lao Tzo Good quote SK, but where do you think that you'd be right now if all the U.S. veterns of all our wars had felt the same. How many mountains would you be climbing now, lad? Some things are actually worth defending, taking a stance on, and even dying for if neccessary. Most liberals, however, see the world in shades of grey and lack the gumption to take a stance or have an opinion about anything. With an opinion, you may actually be proved to be wrong, and God forbid that you might be found to be imperfect. I say Scuba-Climbing rules. Dennis

Apine Tom, Yes, I guess that I would die in order to further the advancement of a new age alpine/nautical sport like Scuba-Climbing (although I wouldn't like to.) It is very dangerous and not for everyone. First of all, it is entirely possible to drown if you start breathing too hard and run out of air in your tanks. Therefore, you must have excellent underwater and climbing breath control. Just like the sport of cave-diving, it is not for everyone. But, if you have any further questions concerning the exciting new sport of scuba-climbing please PM me. Thanks, Dennis

SK, Sorry if I implied that you're a lad. I meant to mean laddy, and if you're qualified to scuba-dive at all, and can climb as well, please do come over and we'll take you down on some really radical routes. Don't, however, bring your cordless drills with you, because we still haven't figured out how to operate them underwater. DEnnis

Dear Dru, We realize that our scuba tanks and weights and lack of chalk could be considered antithetical in the ethical discussion of Scuba-Climbing in relation to conventional climbing, but we also know that we are far more innocuous than you are. We still haven't drilled bolts. Dennis

quote:

Originally posted by Dennis Harmon:

We still haven't drilled bolts. Dennis

Hah! Hoist on your own petard! As you yourself stated, "because we still haven't figured out how to operate them underwater." C'mon Dennis, drill a hole, you know you want to. You can even come over to the Wet Side of the Cascades, blame it on your descent into the den of debauchery.

PS: points to you for showing a sense of humor, nice work.

quote:

Dear Dru, We realize that our scuba tanks and weights and lack of chalk could be considered antithetical in the ethical discussion of Scuba-Climbing in relation to conventional climbing, but we also know that we are far more innocuous than you are. We still haven't drilled bolts. Dennis

Yo avatar you are reinventing the wheel. Your 'sport' has been around since the 50s. It is called Cave Diving.

National Geographic Sept. 1995 Underwater Caves of Florida quote "Moving through these tight tunnels was like rock climbing in a scuba suit underwater". Duh.

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

Don't bolt the coral
[Mad]

Coral Snakes are deadly.

Which reminds me. In the 2nd World War some marines are about to get parachuted into some Indonesian Island to fight the Japanese. Then they will go 20 miles overland to a boat pickup. The mission commander is giving them survival instructions. He describes how to deal with orangutangs, elephants, mosquitoes etc. Then for coral snakes - "You will see a stripy snake lying in the path. These snakes can strike faster than you can run so your only hope is to grab it, slide your hand up to the head, then SQUEEZE until you choke it to death! Got that men?"

"Yes SIR!!"

So they get dropped off, blow up the Japanses base then take off thru the jungle and get split up.

First marine makes it to the boat. He saw some orangutangs but distracted them with bananas and gots away unscathed.

Second marine makes it to the boat. He ran into a Komodo Dragon but climbed a tree until it left.

Third marine is late. Boat is just getting ready to leave when he staggers up all cut up. "good god Corporal, what happened to you?" "well sir, I was coming along a fgame trail by moonlight when I saw a stripy snake lying across the trail. So I did what I was told. Grabbed it, slid my hand up to the head and SQUEEZED."

"And?"

"Well sir, thats when I found myself with my hand right up the ass of the biggest Bengal Tiger you've ever seen!!"

Seriously folks, we are actually doing scuba-climbing, so far only in Lake Chelan, but the potential is vast. Does anyone have information concerning a type of cordless drill that functions underwater? There are many submerged routes on the north shore (near Granite Point) that only need a bolt or two to go. Any information would be appreciated. Dennis

Dru, What in the world does cave-diving have to do with scuba-climbing? If you can show any degree of corillation (SP) between the two please let me know. All I can figure about your argument is that you figure that because we both share water as a median, both sports must then be the same. Try not to be so narrow-minded. Dennis

quote:

corillation (SP)

A simple "(SP)" pardons all spelling errors? Whatever happened to grabbing a dictionary? Kids these days have no respect for the language and are lazy. Makes me wonder if they've even done anything for their country. Probably not. [Wazzup]

quote:

Try not to be so narrow-minded.

Are you kidding me?

[ 06-26-2002, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: iain ]

Commercial divers have been using underwater drills for years. Usually pneumatic, surface supplied.

Cave diving is similar in the sense that you are suspended next to sometimes incredibly vast walls (does 300' by 600' count?). Also, crawling through some of the most awsome cracks (horizontal) so tight you have to take your tanks off and push them ahead of you, to get to said ampitheaters. Very much like the path you take to when climbing Frenchmans coulee.

Similar also is diving at Lake Crescent. Sheer walls, 100+ foot visibility, so blue it breaks your heart. Why climb when you can fly??? Seems like a waste of a perfectly good tank of air...