Triple Couloirs?

sdizzle25

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet the route is in great shape now. (based on past reports and how the season is hanging on cold)

The icicle creek road is covered in mud from a landslide a couple weeks back that add a couple miles of asphalt walking just to get to the bridge to start the logging road walking. Getting to be a long walk in. There is a detour around the mud but I do not know if non residents are allowed to drive through it.

I've done TC twice, once in April 2003 and once in February. In April it was a straight forward climb with only 3 technical waterfall pitches that protected with screws well. In February 2000 the crux runnels were bare, slabby rock so we climbed the North Face variation which in the conditions we found them were very significantly more difficult than the standard TC route in fat shape.

TC's upper left. Pic taken last Saturday...

cc24.jpg

cc40.jpg

From what we could see, tc's looked tone in great shape. Like Gene said the crux will be all that extra walking mileage, or you could easily bike it now that more than two miles of 8 mileroad is melted out.

Edited by telemarker

Actually this isn't really late season for Dtail. Last winter and spring I was up there pretty much every month and May and June were the best for ice. It's still been snowing up there so just avoid the first sunny day after a dump. I'll know more in a couple of days!

As of Saturday the north side is in great shape, good neve down low and more ice than the other times I've been up there. The snow on the upper part of the north face got a bit slushy when the sun hit it for a couple hours but the Triple Couloirs stayed shaded; so probably less neve and more loose snow. Everything's in up there!

We brought snowshoes part of the way but only used them for part of the de-proach. I'll try to put a TR together with some pics.

Howdy John,

We parked at the mudslide, right at 8-mile campground entrance. That frickin' thing is impressive.

There were old ski tracks continuing up the Stuart Lk trail, probably from the Argonaut dudes from mid April. Stuart looks way good, get on that thing!

• 3 weeks later...