Is this legal?

billcoe

The courts will soon rule, but whats your take? Essential "tool" for the FBI or intrusive and illegal monitoring without a search warrant? In the old days a search warrant was issued by a judge before they tapped your phone or did something like this, and is suppose to be fast and easy if there is just cause.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20110303/D9LNEKJ00.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - A community college student who says he's never done anything that should attract the interest of federal law enforcement officials filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the FBI for secretly putting a GPS tracking device on his car.

Yasir Afifi, 20, says a mechanic doing an oil change on his car in October discovered the device stuck with magnets between his right rear wheel and exhaust. They weren't sure what it was, but Afifi had the mechanic remove it and a friend posted photos of it online to see whether anyone could identify it. Two days later, Afifi says, agents wearing bullet-proof vests pulled him over as he drove away from his apartment in San Jose, Calif., and demanded their property back........

..............The federal appeals court in the Washington circuit where Afifi's case was filed ruled in August that the collection of GPS data amounts to a government "search" that required a warrant. The Obama administration asked the court to change its ruling, calling the decision "vague and unworkable" and arguing that investigators will lose access to a tool they now use "with great frequency."

The lawsuit says the agents who showed up to collect the device were "hostile," threatening to charge Afifi if he didn't immediately cooperate and refusing his request to have a lawyer present. The suit also says agents showed they knew private details about his life, such as which restaurants he dined at, the new job he'd just obtained and his plans to travel abroad."

......click link for entire story and not just snippets reposted....This story has been out there for quite some time

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what's the story w/ yer sig there off? :)

My only rat bastard deadbeat client, skipped off to Canada owing me 5k a number of years ago. Eventually, thanks to googlebots, this will be one of the first things you see when you google his name. Sort of like when I was using "Pat Robertson had sex with my younger brother" though he's so ubiquitous that I had to settle for being on the first page of hits when running a search for "pat robertson sex" :laf:

edited to add: I dunno, I suppose the thread topic is relevant, "Is this legal?"

Edited by Off_White

My only rat bastard deadbeat client, skipped off to Canada owing me 5k a number of years ago. Eventually, thanks to googlebots, this will be one of the first things you see when you google his name. Sort of like when I was using "Pat Robertson had sex with my younger brother" though he's so ubiquitous that I had to settle for being on the first page of hits when running a search for "pat robertson sex" :laf:

edited to add: I dunno, I suppose the thread topic is relevant, "Is this legal?"

Does this really work? perhaps I will try it

Does this really work? perhaps I will try it

it certainly is at the moment as the top 2 hits i got when i googled it were for cc.com posts :)