Repeal of DADT

ZimZam

DADT was a compromise - a backlash to Clinton's first salvo in office - to allow gays to serve unrestricted, which met with such fierce REPUBLICAN backlash that DADT, a compromise, was struck

Clinton's compromise (DADT) was so strongly opposed by the rank and file military, that some left the service rather than serve with fairies.

I spoke to my friend's son recently, who was on leave with the Navy. It was interesting to get his view of things. He spend the last year on ships with hundreds of Marines in the Gulf. His take was that basically nobody cares except the politicians and the upper brass who need to be politically sensitive. The guys on the ships have had it figured out for decades. The saying is "Queer on the pier but no one is gay when we're underway" - which of course they all just laugh at.

And the marines were lining up to go see "Tina" - a Navy guy who loved to sing Tina Turner songs, as he had a side business keeping the troops in good morale.

As always in regard to social change, Congress was behind the curve in public opinion and saw the changes coming.

"Hey, soldier, would you rather have a) a gay person or b) no person on that M60?"

Even the most strident gaytred fails this quiz.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always in regard to social change, Congress was behind the curve in public opinion and saw the changes coming.

"Hey, soldier, would you rather have a) a gay person or b) no person on that M60?"

When your only comparative advantage is being the world's billy club in worthless shitholes, it's best to be as inclusive as possible when it comes to your labor force.

Edited by prole

DADT was a compromise - a backlash to Clinton's first salvo in office - to allow gays to serve unrestricted, which met with such fierce REPUBLICAN backlash that DADT, a compromise, was struck

Clinton's compromise (DADT) was so strongly opposed by the rank and file military, that some left the service rather than serve with fairies.

I spoke to my friend's son recently, who was on leave with the Navy. It was interesting to get his view of things. He spend the last year on ships with hundreds of Marines in the Gulf. His take was that basically nobody cares except the politicians and the upper brass who need to be politically sensitive. The guys on the ships have had it figured out for decades. The saying is "Queer on the pier but no one is gay when we're underway" - which of course they all just laugh at.

And the marines were lining up to go see "Tina" - a Navy guy who loved to sing Tina Turner songs, as he had a side business keeping the troops in good morale.

The M60 is no longer in service, it was replaced almost 15 years ago.

No poll was taken among the rank and file military at the time of DADT, so the data as to how folks in that organization felt about it isn't doesn't exist. I don't remember any resignations of any rank that would really matter. I would wager that the reaction in the military matched societal attitudes of the day: mixed.

I was there, DADT was a joke among most soldiers. Most were against DADT because of how absurd it was to allow someone to serve but not allow them to admit they were gay.

You know, he could have been talking about the M60 machine gun, which is still in service...

You know, he could have been talking about the M60 machine gun, which is still in service...

The M60 is in use about as much as the M14, which is to say in very limited numbers. It was replaced as a GPMG with the M240 and as a SAW with the M249. The M60 started getting phased out starting in the late '80's. Line units no longer use the M60 and haven't for a very long time (at least 15 years). Hold out Coastie and Navy reserve units probably still have M60's in inventory as well as the E3 variants with SEAL teams.

The only way Pat is going to get a Homosexual on an M60 next to him (assuming he wasn't a bologna titted, over the hill, pussy) would be if he were on a boat with reservists in which case it wouldn't be the life or death situation his test-of-fail implied.

Yes folks, the M60 IS a machine gun, it IS still in service, and the ever-so-slightly reworded (and sexed up with kewl, Hot-off-the-mess-line miljarg!) Wiki entry IS as true as any other...all at the same time!

No Innernutz LOLcat Fight required!

If it helps maintain focus on the topic, however, simply substitute the term "Johnny 7 OMA" for "M60" as needed.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

I only used the M60 cuz, like, my nephew was an M60 machine gunner in the regular army a mere 8 years back...BUT WE NOW KNOW THAT'S GOTTA BE A FUCKING LIE.

Whew! I'm glad we cleared that up because your whole argument concerning gays in the military was hanging by a thread there.

I only used the M60 cuz, like, my nephew was an M60 machine gunner in the regular army a mere 8 years back...BUT WE NOW KNOW THAT'S GOTTA BE A FUCKING LIE.

Or maybe you heard what you wanted because the name sticks after all the time you spent glued to a television watching Walter Cronkite. Whats clear is that your total understanding of the military is limited to recollections of second hand conversations.

Another reason we are different:

764833295.jpg

"Fidelity is the essence of the United States Marine Corps. Above all else, we are loyal to the Constitution, our Commander in Chief, Congress, our Chain of Command, and the American people. The House of Representatives and the Senate have voted to repeal Title 10, US Code 654 "Policy Concerning Homosexuality in the United States Armed Forces." As stated during my testimony before Congress in September and again during hearings before the Senate Armed Services Committee earlier this month, the Marine Corps will step out smartly to faithfully implement this new policy. I, and the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, will personally lead this effort, thus ensuring the respect and dignity due all Marines. On this matter, we look forward to further demonstrating to the American people the discipline and loyalty that have been the hallmark of the United States Marine Corps for over 235 years."

http://www.stripes.com/blogs/stripes-central/stripes-central-1.8040/top-marine-pledges-to-personally-lead-gay-integration-1.129363

It's a good thing he's suddenly no longer worried about marines winding up at Bethesday 'without legs' because they were 'distracted' by some sushing tush. Certainly no hyberbole there, boyz.

At least he knows how to follow orders.

Gays in the closet are prone to express such hyperbole; it's a dominant side effect of hypocrisy. Maybe next the good general will be coming out.